Good Morning, today is Tuesday, August 2.
🌊 Governor Dan McKee will be joined by local and statewide officials at the Florence Gray Center this morning as he announces the details of how Rhode Islanders can take advantage of the $250 per child tax rebate included in the FY 23 budget.
🌊 Sunday, July 31 concluded three days of fun in the sun at the historic Newport Jazz Festival at Fort Adams State Park in Newport, RI. Post pandemic, the full return of the festival was well attended, selling out on Saturday with near sell-outs Friday and Sunday.
Read and see more of the 2022 Newport Jazz Festival;
- 2022 Newport Jazz Festival: Shift in direction – Day 3 recap and photos
- 2022 Newport Jazz Festival – Day 2 recap and photos
- 2022 Newport Jazz Festival off to a great start – Day 1 recap and photos
🌊 Music On The Lawn, a free summer concert series, returns to The Church of St. John the Evangelist this evening from 6 pm to 8 pm with a performance by Doug Woolverton and The Groove Merchants.
🌊 The Community College of Rhode Island is hosting two Open Enrollment Days this week beginning today from 8 am–12 pm at the Newport County Campus and continuing Wednesday, August 3 from 8 am–12 pm at the Flanagan Campus in Lincoln.
Open Enrollment Days offer those interested in attending CCRI the opportunity to apply for free, receive assistance with filing for financial aid, schedule or take the ACCUPLACER placement exam, and register for classes.
🌊 Portions of the East Passage of Narragansett Bay between Gould Island and Conanicut (Jamestown), and extending to Pell Newport Bridge, will be temporarily closed to vessel traffic on Saturday between 7:30 a.m. and 10:20 a.m. for the Save The Bay Swim. Vessel traffic may pass on the west side of Jamestown. Boaters with questions should contact Save The Bay at 401-272-3540 PRIOR to the event.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 83. South wind 7 to 14 mph.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Southwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming northwest after midnight.
- Tomorrow: Sunny, with a high near 83. North wind 5 to 9 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Tomorrow Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 70. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph.
- Today: SSW wind 6 to 9 kt increasing to 9 to 12 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SW wind 5 to 8 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 71°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:41 am | Sunset: 8 pm | 14 hours & 19 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 11:42 am & 11:53 pm | Low tide at 4:47 am & 5:05 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 3.9 days, 16% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6 pm: Confluence of Art and Science on the Narragansett Bay at Jamestown Arts Center
- 6 pm: Music on the Lawn: Doug Woolverton & The Groove Merchants
- 6:15 pm: Coastal Queen Beer Tasting Cruise with The General’s Crossing Brewhouse
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Easton’s Beach: Avenue A at 6 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Top Gun: Maverick at 4:30 pm & 7:30 pm
- Landing: Dan DeCristofaro at 1 pm, Sean Rivers at 4:30 pm
- One Pelham East: Stu Sinclair at 9 pm
- St. John’s Church: Music on the Lawn: Doug Woolverton & The Groove Merchants at 6 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Fire Department at 7 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Planning Board at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Board of Canvassers at 10:30 am
- Newport: Newport Canvassing Authority at 11:30 am, Newport Historic District Commission at 6:30 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth School Committee – Personnel Subcommittee at 1 pm, Portsmouth Dog Park Operating Committee at 5:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton School Building Committee at 5 pm, Tiverton Planning Board at 6:30 pm, Tiverton School Committee at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.