Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Monday, July 4
🌊 Happy Independence Day! In Newport, there is a slate of free events planned in by the Newport Historical Society and Rhode Island Society Sons of The Revolution today, here’s the lineup;
9:00 am: Daughters of the American Revolution hosting wreath-laying at the grave of William Ellery, signer of the Declaration, in Island Park Cemetery.
· 10:00 am-11:00 am: The Newport Historical Society will open the Old Colony House for visitors, the fourth oldest State House in America. There is no charge for admission.
· 10:00 am-11:00 am: Newport Community Orchestra plays at Washington Square.
· 11:00 am: The reading of the Declaration of Independence by Colonel Roy Lauth of the Rhode Island Society Sons of the Revolution. He will read from the steps of the Colony House, where a 19-year-old Newport native, John Handy, first read the Declaration to the Colony on July 22, 1776.
· Immediately following the reading, the Artillery Company of Newport will fire a 21 Gun Salute to the Nation, using the four cannons purchased from Paul Revere in 1798 by the new state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.
🌊 On Bannisters Wharf at 3:30 pm, the staff from the Clarke Cooke House will participate in their 40+ annual tradition of the reading of the Declaration of Independence and Sing-Along.
🌊 Newport fireworks are on schedule for 9:15 pm this evening. A reminder that they get shot off from the north end of Fort Adams State Park, so a good viewing place is anywhere facing west along the harbor. Enjoy!
What’s Up Today
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 77. North wind 6 to 15 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Tonight – Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Today – N wind 5 to 8 kt becoming SSW 10 to 13 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SSW wind 5 to 9 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 63°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:17 am | Sunset: 8:22 pm | 15 hours & 5 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 12:16 pm | Low tide at 5:23 am & 5:29 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 4.4 days, 21% lighting.
Things To Do
- 9 am: Independence Day Open House at the Colony House
- 10 am to 2 pm: Free Self-Guided Tours of the Eisenhower house
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Road to Independence
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7:30 pm: Newport Classical: Triton Brass: A Salute to America at King Park
- 8:45 pm: Newport 4th of July Fireworks Cruise
- 9:15 pm: Newport 4th of July Fireworks Display
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- @ The Deck: Felix Brown at 5 pm, The Complaints at 9 pm
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Steve Demers at 1 pm, Sean Rivers at 4:30 pm, Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 8 pm
- King Park: Newport Classical: Triton Brass: A Salute to America at 7:30 pm
- Newport Classical: Triton Brass: A Salute to America at King Park at 7:30 pm
- One Pelham East: Bruce Jacques at 10 pm
- The Fastnet Pub: The Ubiquitones at 10 pm
- The Fifth Element: The Groove Merchants from 7 pm to 10 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 1 pm to 4 pm, Lucas Neil from 6 pm to 9 pm
City & Government
- No public meetings are scheduled.
The Latest from WUN
- Obituary: DK1 Juan Castillo Sanchez Jr., USN, (Ret.)
- Obituary: Raymond J. Silvia
- Obituary: Maris Humphreys