Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Saturday, July 23.
🌊 If there was a theme to the first day of the 2022 Newport Folk Festival on Friday, July 22, it was variety and diversity. A wide range of sound was represented, including several genre-defying bands and artists. No doubt, the focus was simply all about great music.
Ken and Rick with more – 2022 Newport Folk Festival: Day 1 Recap and Photos
🌊 Longtime Newport Folk Festival board member, performer, and activist Pete Seeger was honored in a ceremony at the Jane Pickens Film and Events Center on Thursday. Members of the Seeger family were present when a new “forever stamp” with Seeger’s likeness was unveiled by the United States Postal Service before a packed house.
Ken has more here – Pete Seeger postage stamp unveiled in ceremony at Jane Pickens Theater
🌊 “Legal scholars and historians have called it the worst Supreme Court decision ever, and a former chief justice characterized it as the court’s “greatest self-inflicted wound.”
But these references were not about the recent ruling that struck down Roe v. Wade.“
Gerry Goldstein’s latest column is here – Gerry Goldstein: In the books, a supremely odious decision
🌊 On the market for a new home in Newport County? Tyler has a look at what open houses are happening out there – Open Houses in Newport County this weekend: July 23 – 25
🌊 After an investigation following the discovery of a suspicious email on one of the City of Newport’s internal networks, current and former municipal employees are being notified of a suspected security incident that may have left certain personal information compromised. Read More – City of Newport advising past, current employees of potential data loss
🌊 The Rhode Island Department of Health has recommended closing Surfer’s Rock Area at Sachuest Point Beach in Middletown and Hazard’s Beach in Newport for swimming because of high bacteria levels.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 86. Light southwest wind increasing to 8 to 13 mph in the morning.
- Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 72. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph.
- Tomorrow: Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Southwest wind 7 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Tomorrow Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 75. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSW 6 to 11 kt in the morning. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SW wind 5 to 9 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 68°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:31 am | Sunset: 8:11 pm | 14 hours & 39 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 4:30 am & 5:09 pm | Low tide at 9:43 am & 11:40 pm.
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 24.4 days, 27% lighting.
Things To Do
- 9 am to 12 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market at Embrace Home Loans
- 10 am to 7 pm: Newport Folk Festival at Fort Adams
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Newport’s British Occupation
- 11 am & 2 pm: “Gunther Talks Cars” at Newport Car Museum
- 2 pm: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 4 pm – 8:30 pm: Food Truck Sunsets at Safe Harbor New England Boatworks
- 5 pm: Newport International Polo Series
- 7 pm & 9 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- 7 pm to 9 pm: Newport Dance Festival at Great Friends Meeting House
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Bar & Board: Mel at 7:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Sydney Carbone at 6:30 pm
- Buskers: Brian Twohey at 9 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music at 10 pm
- Dockside: Live music at 9 pm
- Greenvale Vineyards: Dick Lupino & friends from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Alan Bernstein Trio from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s: “Folk Fest” from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club, DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm on The Firepit Deck
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Newport Folk presents Marcus Mumford & Friends (sold out!)
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Landing: Brennan Burns at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Blockhead at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Mark Cutler & Men of Great Courage from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Newport Folk Festival presents Lucius Saturday Night Fever (Sold Out!)
- O’Brien’s Pub: C Gray the DJ from 10 pm to close
- One Pelham East: Live acoustic music at 4:30 pm, Adam Go at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Shops at Long Wharf: Half Step Down from 1 pm to 5 pm
- Speakeasy: Live music at 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 7 pm & 9 pm
- The IA: Newport Sideshow at 3 pm with multiple artists
- The Pub at 2 Mile Corener: My Joe Called Life at 8 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott from 1 pm to 4 pm, Nate C. from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm, Jimmy Weinstock from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm & 10:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- No public meetings are scheduled in Newport County.
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.