Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Monday, July 11.
🌊 On this day in 1780, approximately 5,000 – 6,000 French soldiers commanded by Rochambeau arrived at King Park in Newport, Rhode Island.
The code name given by the French government for the plan was “Expédition Particulière” and its mission was to support the American rebel forces against Britain in the American Revolutionary War. Read More
🌊 After a two-year COVID hiatus, the Miantonomi Community Farmers Market will reopen today and run every Monday afternoon from 2 to 6 PM in Miantonomi Park on Hillside Avenue through the end of August. Read More
🌊 Jay Flanders is back with another recipe for you all, this month it’s Fennel and Apple Salad
🌊 Newport Classical has nine more shows scheduled between Tuesday and Sunday. Get to one if you can. Schedule
🌊 There’s a bunch of free outdoor music around town this week, keep up with it here – Schedule: Outdoor music series’ to enjoy during this spring, summer, and fall
🌊 Day #2 of the Infosys Hall of Fame Open is today. Today will consist of the Tournament Early Rounds, gates open at 10 am, tennis begins at 11 am and the ATP Junior Tennis Clinic will take place at 3 pm. Tickets & Info | Order of Play
What’s Up Today
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 74. South wind 6 to 16 mph.
- Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 68. Southwest wind 11 to 14 mph.
- Tomorrow: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.
- Tomorrow Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1 am, then a slight chance of showers between 1 am and 2 am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 9 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. The chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Today: SSW wind 5 to 8 kt increasing to 11 to 14 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SSW wind 10 to 12 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 64°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:21 am | Sunset: 8:19 pm | 14 hours & 57 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 6:05 am & 6:36 pm | Low tide at 11:25 am.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 11.5 days, 89% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am to 2 pm: Historic Saint Mary’s Church now Welcoming Visitors Daily
- 10 am: Infosys Hall Of Fame Open at the International Tennis Hall Of Fame
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Road to Independence
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 1 pm, 3 pm, & 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Miantonomi Community Farmers Market at Miantonomi Park
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises
- 8 pm: Laughter for Locals with the Bit Players
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Justin Pomfret at 1 pm, Mark Flynn at 4:30 pm, Loose Pockets at 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Bruce Jacques at 10 pm
- The Fastnet Pub: The Ubiquitones at 10 pm
- The Fifth Element: The Groove Merchants from 7 pm to 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Laughter for Locals with the Bit Players at 8 pm
City & Government
- Little Compton: Little Compton Pension Committee at 9 am
- Middletown: Middletown Board of Canvassers at 8:30 am, Middletown Planning Board at 3 pm, Middletown Conservation Commission at 5:30 pm
- Newport: Newport Planning Board at 6:30 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Town Council at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Historical Cemeteries Commission at 6 pm, Tiverton Harbor Commission at 7 pm, Tiverton Town Council at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Let the community know about your event, announcement, or other news. Submit posts here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.