“The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” —Lady Bird Johnson
The U.S. Navy has agreed to make more than $39 million in repairs at Naval Station Newport that will ensure the facility is in compliance with laws regulating the discharge of stormwater into Coddington Cove, an embayment of Narragansett Bay. [Full story]
COVID-19 updates are coming today from Governor McKee/the Rhode Island Department of Health (at 1 pm) and the City of Newport (at 4:30 pm). [Details here]
In an effort to increase the pool of applicants interested in working at Easton’s Beach this summer, the City of Newport is offering a pair of financial incentive programs for both lifeguards and general beach staff. [Full story]
What’s Up in Newport County Today
~ Happy Birthday today to Jim Quinn, Michael Hervieux, Erin Walsh, and Travis Larkin!
- Today –Mostly sunny, with a high near 46. Breezy, with a west wind 18 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
- Tonight –Partly cloudy, with a low around 36. Breezy, with a west wind 16 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.
- Gale Warning in effect from April 22, 06:00 AM EDT until April 23, 02:00 AM EDT
- Today –W wind 16 to 19 kt, with gusts as high as 33 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight -W wind 14 to 17 kt, with gusts as high as 30 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 46°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:53 am | Sunset: 7:34 pm | 13 hours and 41 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 4 am & 4:42 pm | Low tide at 10:33 am & 10:36 pm
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 9 days, 68% lighting.
Things To Do
- Newport Daffodil Days
- Aquidneck Island Earth Week
- Newport Arboretum Week
- Streaming – newportFILM “Wild Things” virtual screening + Live Q&A
- 10 am – Earth Day Family Tree Walk at Morton Park
- 11 am to 4 pm – Gardening Tool Drive for AgInnovation Farm at Greenvale Vineyards
- 1 pm to 3 pm – Morton Park Earth Day Volunteer Event at Morton Park
- 1 pm: Disease & Decor: How Epidemics Shaped The Look Of The Victorian Middle-Class Bedroom
- 3:15 pm – Salve Regina University’s Earth day tree-planting ceremony
- 4 pm to 5 pm – Paint A Garden Rock
- 5:30 pm – Sunlight, Space and Surfaces – Tracing The Development of The Healthy Home
- 6 pm – Trivia Nights on the Farm at Ragged Island Brewery
- 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm – Modern Climate Change: Adapting to current changes while mitigating future disasters
- 8 pm – newportFILM “Wild Things” virtual screening + Live Q&A
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Oscar Shorts: Animated
- Oscar Shorts: Live Action
- Oscar Shorts: Documentary
- La Boheme – The Met: Live In HD
City & Government
- 10:30 am – Portsmouth Water and Fire District
- 1 pm – Governor McKee/RIDOH COVID-19 Briefing
- 3:30 pm – Middletown Board of Tax Assessment Review
- 4 pm – Middletown Roads/Utilities Advisory Committee
- 4:30 pm – Newport City Council COVID-19 Workshop
- 6 pm – Prudence Island Water District
- 6 pm – Middletown Prevention Coalition
- 6:30 pm – Tiverton Personnel Board
- 7 pm – Little Compton Town Council
The Latest What’s Up Newp Headlines
Tennis Hall Of Fame launches new digital exhibit exploring the evolution and impact of tennis footwear
Around the web
- 3 Reasons To Visit Newport, Rhode Island, This Spring [Forbes]
- Treasurer Magaziner Holds 13th Financial Empowerment Roundtable Since Taking Office [RI.Gov]
- Chariho Regional High School student represents RI in the national Poetry Out Loud competition [RI.Gov]
- Salve’s Music department will hold two virtual end-of-year concerts [Salve Today]
- Newport pushes to vaccinate Latino residents, as community faces rise in COVID-19 cases [The Public’s Radio]
Support our newsroom
The independent and trusted local journalism we produce every day on What’s Up Newp is powered by What’s Up Newp readers.
Our membership program helps make Newport County a better place by bridging the gap between you and the newsroom that covers your life. It forms a vital partnership that fosters trust, togetherness, and growth through community-funded journalism.
You should know that:
- 100% of your support funds my reporting and that of our contributors.
- There are no paywalls at What’s Up Newp. A healthy and growing membership is critical to keeping it that way.
I’d be grateful if you considered joining us today as a supporter.
Have a great Thursday,
We love hearing from our readers. Share your feedback, questions, story ideas, and news tips by hitting reply or by emailing email@example.com.