Good Morning! Today is Monday, May 22, 2023. Today’s newsletter is 1,032 words – approximately a 5-minute read.
Receive this story/newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning by signing up for our free newsletter!
👋 Thousands of international guests and visitors from many U.S. states descended upon Newport yesterday to bid “safe passage” to the sailors in The Ocean Race, who sailed out of the glittering Narragansett Bay on their trans-Atlantic Leg 5 to Denmark.
- Newport bids farewell to The Ocean Race Fleet
- 11th Hour Racing Team leaves hometown
- Team Malizia wins Newport In Port Race and leads fleet towards the open AtlanticNewport, bound for Denmark
🎶 WUN’s Ken Abrams with a roundup of what’s happening on the music festival schedule across New England this summer → 2023 New England summer music festival guide.
🏀 Gabe Vincent scored a career-high 29 points, Duncan Robinson added 22 and the eighth-seeded Heat rolled past the Celtics 128-102 on Sunday night. Miami leads the series 3-0, with a chance to finish off a stunning sweep on Tuesday night at home in Game 4. Read More
⚾ Rougned Odor hit a desperately needed bases-clearing double off struggling Corey Kluber in the first inning, Matt Carpenter homered and the San Diego Padres beat the Boston Red Sox 7-0 Sunday for just their third win in 14 games. Read More
👉 Newport City Council and Newport School Committee will be spending some time together this week during two workshops. The first joint workshop is tonight and will focus on “Budget Overview – School”. Read More
🐢 It’s the last call for tickets to the World Turtle Day Film Festival at Mount Hope Farm on Tuesday. Read More
What’s Up Today – 5.22.23
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 65. Northeast wind 9 to 15 mph.
- Tonight: Clear, with a low around 45. Northeast wind 6 to 8 mph.
- Tomorrow: Sunny, with a high near 62. Northeast wind 7 to 10 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.
- 7-Day Weather Forecast | 3-day Surf Forecast
🛥️ Marine Forecast
- Today: NE wind 9 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: NE wind 5 to 7 kt. Clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tomorrow: NE wind 6 to 9 kt becoming ESE in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 55°F.
🌊 Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:19 am | Sunset: 8:05 pm | 14 hours & 45 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 10:35 am & 10:52 pm | Low tide at 3:59 am & 3:34 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent. 2.3 days, 6% lighting.
🎭 Things To Do
- 38th Grosvenor Cushing Golf Tournament at Newport Country Club
- 7 pm: Adult Beginner Ballet and Stretch at The Academy at Newport Contemporary Ballet
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Perro Salado: John Monllos from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
- The Fastnet Pub: The Ubiquitones at 10 pm
- The Fifth Element: The Groove Merchants from 7 pm to 10 pm
🏛️ City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown School Committee at 5:30 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Budget Committee at 6 pm, Little Compton Recreation Committee at 6:30 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Personnel Board at 1 pm
- Newport: Newport City Council at 5:30 pm, Newport School Committee at 5:30 pm, Newport Zoning Board of Review at 6:30 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Town Council at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Wastewater District at 5:30 pm, Tiverton Town Council at 7 pm
- See the agendas and a full list of public meetings across Rhode Island here.
🆕 The Latest
Newport bids farewell to The Ocean Race Fleet
Thousands of international guests and visitors from many U.S. states descended upon Newport today to bid “safe passage” to the sailors in The Ocean Race, who sailed out of the glittering Narragansett Bay on their trans-Atlantic Leg 5 to Denmark.
11th Hour Racing Team leaves hometown Newport, bound for Denmark
The only US entry in The Ocean Race, 11th Hour Racing Team, has left its hometown of Newport, Rhode Island, and has set off from the Ocean State on Leg 5 of the 2022-23 edition of the round-the-world race.
Team Malizia wins Newport In Port Race and leads fleet towards the open Atlantic
It was a picture-perfect day in Newport for the start of leg 5 across the Atlantic Ocean to Aarhus, Denmark
Heat roll past Celtics 128-102, take 3-0 lead in Eastern Conference finals
Erik Spoelstra had his team fully expecting that Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals would be extremely difficult, that the Miami Heat were going to have to take the best shot that a desperate bunch of Boston Celtics could muster.
With Celtics in a 3-0 hole, Joe Mazzulla’s season is now at its low point
Joe Mazzulla’s roller-coaster season is at its lowest. And with the Boston Celtics now on the brink of elimination, the first-year coach is blaming himself.
Odor, Carpenter have big hits as struggling Padres beat Red Sox 7-0
Rougned Odor hit a desperately needed bases-clearing double off struggling Corey Kluber in the first inning, Matt Carpenter homered and the San Diego Padres beat the Boston Red Sox 7-0 Sunday for just their third win in 14 games.
2023 New England summer music festival guide
All the music festivals in New England through Labor Day Weekend
7-Day Weather forecast for Newport County
Here’s what’s on tap for weather this week and weekend.
3-day Surf Forecast for Rhode Island
Forecast includes rip current risk, surf height, weather, winds, and more.
Obituary: Anthony Brian Kirmil
April 28, 1952 – May 18, 2023
📈 Popular Stories
Here’s what stories folks were reading the most on WhatsUpNewp.com yesterday;
- The Ocean Race: Newport In-Port Race postponed
- Obituary: Anthony Brian Kirmil
- 2023 New England summer music festival guide
- Revolutionary Reopening of a Whisky Business
- Team Malizia wins Newport In Port Race and leads fleet towards the open Atlantic
🗞️ Further Reading
- CBS News: Kenan Thompson surprises police while filming ‘Good Burger 2’ in Rhode Island
- East Bay Times: Tiverton tennis aims for a deep playoff run
- Fox News: ‘SNL’ star Kenan Thompson surprises Newport, RI police with coffee and donuts: ‘Wicked nice’
- WPRI: Salve Regina holds commencement ceremony
Thanks for reading, have a great Monday!
~ Ryan Belmore
Our supporters help What’sUpNewp grow. Join them and make a contribution to support our local, independent journalism.