Good Morning, today is Wednesday, August 17.
🌊 On this day in 1790, George Washington arrived in Newport. He was accompanied by Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, Governor George Clinton of New York, U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Blair of Virginia, and U.S. Congressman William Loughton Smith of South Carolina.
🌊 On this day in 1982, I was born at Woman & Infants Hospital in Providence. 😉 I’ve spent the last 10+ years (my entire 30’s) serving as the publisher of What’sUpNewp. It has been such an honor and the greatest gift, thanks for reading, for your support, and for your friendship.
Let’s keep it going another 10+ years – support our local, independent on-the-ground coverage today.
🌊 If you are wondering if the primary election is fast approaching, just turn on your television and watch the parade of political ads from Democratic candidates for governor and the second Congressional seat. Non-stop. Every subject, from elderly mothers to reproductive rights.
WUN’s Frank Prosnitz with the latest on Election 2022 – Primary election less than a month away
🌊 WUN’s Ken Abrams spoke to the new producers of the Rhythm & Roots Festival – Rhythm & Roots Festival on schedule for Labor Day Weekend
🌊 What’s Up Newp and The JPT present Point Break this evening at 7:30 pm. The evening will include live music and in-house tastings from Rejects Beer Co. Tickets & More Info
Join us tomorrow night for a sud-filled screening of the cult screwball-comedy Strange Brew, preceded by a beer tasting from local breweries in the JPT lobby! A hoppy and hilarious evening. Tickets & More Info
Have a great Wednesday,
~ Ryan Belmore
What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. Support What’sUpNewp
What’s Up Today
- Today: Showers likely, mainly before 9am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 68. North wind 14 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Tonight: A slight chance of showers before 9pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. West wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Small Craft Advisory until August 18, 08:00 AM EDT
- Today: N wind 12 to 14 kt, with gusts as high as 27 kt. Showers likely, mainly before 9am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: NNW wind 7 to 9 kt becoming WNW after midnight. A slight chance of showers before 9pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 71°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:56 am | Sunset: 7:42 pm | 13 hours & 45 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 12:20 am & 12:51 pm | Low tide at 5:30 am & 6:31 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 20 days, 72% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Wednesday Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm: Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 4:30 pm: Live from The Loading Dock: KERA WASHINGTON and the ZILI MISIK TRIO at The MLK Center
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6 pm: Yoga in the Yard at Rough Point Museum
- 7 pm: Family Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players
- 7:30 pm: What’s Up Newp and The JPT present Point Break at The JPT
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Buskers: Open Mic with Mike Warner at 9 pm
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- Irish American Athletic Club: Mel from 8 pm to 10 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song at 3 pm, What’s Up Newp and The JPT present Point Break at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Motion Avenue at 1 pm, The Naticks at 4:30 pm, Jim Devlin at 8 pm
- Newport Vineyards: J. Kelley Duo from 5 pm to 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Adam Go at 7 pm
- Perro Salado: The Z-Boys from 9 pm to 12 am
- Ragged Island Brewing: Live music from 4 pm to 7 pm
- Sardella’s: Wednesday Jazz Nights at 7 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Family Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at 7 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos: Free Wednesday show with Davina Yanetty & Mike Brown at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: John & Joanne from 7 pm to 10 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Bike Path Committee at 11 am, Jamestown Planning Commission at 6 pm, Jamestown Tree Preservation & Protection at 6:30 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Zoning Board of Review at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Technical Review Committee at 9 am
- Newport: Newport Trust & Investment Commission at 8 am
- RITBA: Turnpike and Bridge Authority, Rhode Island at 8:30 am
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.