Good Morning, today is Monday, August 15
🌊 Maintaining a long-term career in Rhode Island radio isn’t easy. It’s even more unusual to consider that siblings can do it. WUN’s Frank O’Donnell with more – What’s Up Interview: The Mulhern Brothers, leading voices on RI radio
🌊 A near-capacity crowd greeted three blues greats on Saturday at Bold Point Park in East Providence for the Backroads Blues Festival’s inaugural concert. WUN’s Ken Abrams was there – Concert Recap and Photos: Backroads Blues Festival at Bold Point Park
🌊 Providence had less than half an inch of rainfall in the third driest July on record, and Boston had six-tenths of an inch in the fourth driest July on record, according to the National Weather Service office. Read More – Northeastern farmers face new challenges with severe drought
🌊 Looking for a new job, gig, or career? Here are 115 job opportunities available right now in and around Newport.
On the other side and looking to own your own business? Here are some opportunities available right now – Old Canteen Restaurant, donut/coffee shop, liquor store, and other businesses currently for sale in Rhode Island
🌊 Bishop’s 4th Street Diner closed on Sunday after more than 50 years in business. WJAR with more.
🌊 Free Fun Today – Tour the Eisenhower House for free between 10 am to 2 pm then head over to the Miantonomi Park Memorial Tour for a free tour between 2 pm – 6 pm. End the day at Middletown’s Monday Night Beach Concert Series at Second Beach with live music from Moment’s Notice, food trucks, fire pits, and more.
Have a great Monday,
~ Ryan Belmore
Support local, independent journalism – Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Learn More
Advertise to Readership of 140,000 – Promote your business to our 140,000 monthly readers and 26,000 email subscribers. Includes reporting on impressions, clicks, and cities of our readers. Huge reach on and off the island. Get pricing.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 78. Light and variable wind becoming southeast 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. East wind 5 to 9 mph becoming north after midnight.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSE 5 to 9 kt in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming NNE 5 to 8 kt after midnight. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 70°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:54 am | Sunset: 7:45 pm | 13 hours & 50 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 11:08 am & 11:30 pm | Low tide at 4:21 am & 4:48 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 18 days, 89% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am to 2 pm: Free tours of the Eisenhower House
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Road to Independence
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Miantonomi Summer Market at Miantonomi Park
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Miantonomi Park Memorial Tower open for tours
- 6 pm to 9 pm: Middletown’s Monday Night Beach Concert Series at Second Beach
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises
- 8 pm: Laughter for Locals with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Justin Pomfret at 1 pm, Jay Parker at 4:30 pm, Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Bruce Jacques at 10 pm
- Second Beach: Moment’s Notice from 6 pm to 9 pm
- The Fastnet Pub: The Ubiquitones at 10 pm
- The Fifth Element: The Groove Merchants from 7 pm to 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Laughter for Locals with the Bit Players at 8 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Affordable Housing at 3 pm, Jamestown Planning Commission at 3 pm, Jamestown Town Council at 3 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Town Council at 6:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Harbor Commission at 7 pm, Tiverton Library Trustees at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Presented with What’s Up Newp, Narragansett Beer, Ragged Island Brewing & Rejects Beer Co: Join us for a sud-filled screening of the cult screwball-comedy Strange Brew, preceded by a beer tasting from local breweries in the JPT lobby! A hoppy and hilarious evening. Tickets & More Info
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.