Good Morning, today is Monday, June 27.
🌊 On this day in 1898, Joshua Slocum completed the first solo circumnavigation of the globe in Newport.
🌊On this day in 1966, Dark Shadows, an American Gothic soap opera that used Carey Mansion as “Collinwood Mansion”, premiered on ABC.
🌊 There will be a lot of political activity this week as candidates for all local and statewide offices must officially file a declaration of candidacy today, tomorrow, or Wednesday. Look for a few surprises.
🌊 Louisa Boatwright will seek another term on Newport School Committee. Read her announcement
🌊 At the Rhode Island Democratic Party convention last night, WPRI reports that Governor McKee won the endorsement for Governor, General Treasurer Seth Magaziner grabbed the endorsement for Congressional District 2, Sabina Matos got the nod for Lieutenant Governor, Gregg Amore was endorsed for Secretary of State, and James Diossa won the party’s endorsement for General Treasurer.
🌊 There’s a ton going on this week in and around Newport. In fact, it took several hours on Sunday to put our weekly roundup together (a good thing!). Here’s what’s up this week – What’s Up This Week in Newport County: June 27 – July 4
🌊 If you missed it, WUN’s Rick Farrell captured The Doobie Brothers (with Michael McDonald!) at Xfinity Center on Saturday – Concert Recap and Photos: The Doobie Brothers
🌊 ICYMI: The Eisenhower House at Fort Adams State Park is open for free public tours on Mondays from 10 am to 2 pm.
What’s Up Today
- Today –A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 4pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 74. South wind 10 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tonight – Showers, mainly before 11 pm. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 61. Southwest wind 6 to 13 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from June 27, 06:00 AM EDT until June 27, 07:00 PM EDT
- Today – SSW wind 11 to 15 kt, with gusts as high as 27 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 3pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SW wind 5 to 10 kt becoming NW after midnight. Showers, mainly before 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 64°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:13 am | Sunset: 8:23 pm | 15 hours & 9 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 7:32 am & 7:53 pm | Low tide at 1:13 am & 12:27 pm.
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 27.7 days, 4% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am to 2 pm: Free Self-Guided Tours of the Eisenhower house
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Road to Independence
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6 pm: BREAKING BREAD: New England Writers on Food, Hunger, and Family at Charter Books
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Justin Pomfret at 1 pm, Mike Milazzo at 4:30 pm, Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Bruce Jacques at 10 pm
- The Fastnet Pub: The Ubiquitones at 10 pm
- The Fifth Element: The Groove Merchants from 7 pm to 10 pm
City & Government
- Little Compton: Little Compton Recreation Committee at 6:30 pm
- Newport: Newport Zoning Board of Review at 6:30 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Town Council at 5 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Wastewater District at 5:30 pm, Tiverton Housing Authority at 5:30 pm, Tiverton Wastewater District at 6 pm, Tiverton Town Council at 7 pm
The Latest from WUN
We’ll See You Out There
Is there anything more refreshing in the summertime than a frosty Del’s Lemonade?! A Rhode Island favorite, Del’s lemonade is sold from wonderful old trucks at Newport area beaches. This Del’s truck is parked at ‘Surfer’s End’ at 2nd beach.
A fine art photograph of a Del’s Lemonade truck by Alexander Nesbitt. This photo can be printed by the artist in a variety of styles and sizes. Shop here or stop by Blink Gallery at 89 Thames Street in Newport.