Good Morning, today is Sunday, July 24.
🌊 Saturday at the 2022 Newport Folk Festival was a day to be remembered. The festival was overdue for a big surprise performance, and Saturday’s appearance by Paul Simon certainly fit the bill.
Simon joined Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats (and very special friends) and performed Graceland, American Tune, The Boxer, and The Sound of Silence.
Full day #2 recap and photo gallery is here -> 2022 Newport Folk Festival: Surprise Appearance by Paul Simon – Day 2 Recap and Photos
🌊 We’re getting the question a lot, so a reminder – there is nowhere to stream or watch Newport Folk Festival online live as it happens, but MVYRADIO is playing some of the sets from each day from 7 pm to 9 pm nightly.
🌊 The Down City Band will perform at the Gazebo at King Park today from 3 pm to 6 pm, as part of NIMFEST. Free.
🌊 Speaking of music, Newport Live continues with their live music series next Saturday with the Dedicated Men of Zion at the Newport Congregational Church. Tickets and more info.
🌊 George Washington’s Mount Vernon will host a special screening of the newly-produced educational film, George Washington and the Pursuit of Religious Freedom on July 28, 2022, at The Jane Pickens Theater and Event Center.
Filmed largely in Newport in November 2021, this short film follows the establishment of religious freedom in America and George Washington’s precedent-setting letter to the Newport Touro Synagogue Congregation.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. South wind 6 to 11 mph increasing to 12 to 17 mph in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 75. Southwest wind 10 to 17 mph.
- Tomorrow: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Southwest wind around 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tomorrow Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 10pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 10pm and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 6 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Today: SSW wind 5 to 10 kt increasing to 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 23 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SSW wind 9 to 12 kt increasing to 12 to 15 kt after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 22 kt. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 68°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:32 am | Sunset: 8:10 pm | 14 hours & 37 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 5:30 am & 6:04 pm | Low tide at 10:34 am.
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 25.3 days, 19% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am to 1:30 pm: Tiverton Farmers Market at Tiverton Middle School Gymnasium
- 10 am to 7 pm: Newport Folk Festival at Fort Adams
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 5 pm: Summer Concert Series featuring Crushed Velvet at Burr’s Hill Park
- 7 pm to 9 pm: Newport Dance Festival at Great Friends Meeting House
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Blue Anchor Grill: Chris & Diane at 6:30 pm
- Castle Hill Inn: Live Jazz Music from 11:30 am to 3 pm at the Terrace Bar
- Clarke Cooke House: Bobby Ferreira at 12:30 pm
- Fastnet Irish Pub: Irish Sessions from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Fifth Element: Live music at 11 am
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Butch McCarthy & Steve Mazza from 12 pm to 3 pm
- Gurney’s: “Folk Fest” from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club, DJ at The Firepit from 5 pm to 10 pm
- Irish American Club: Karaoke at 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 3 pm to 7 pm
- King Park: Down City Band from 3 pm to 6 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 11 am to 2 pm
- Landing: Brennan Burns at 1 pm, John Erikson at 4:30 pm, Sean Rivers at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: The Incredible Amplifires from 4 pm to 7 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Newport Folk Festival presents Deer Tick (sold out!)
- O’Brien’s Pub: George Zecher on Steel Drums from 3 pm to 6 pm, Bingo inside at 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Live acoustic music at 5 pm
- Pour Judgement: Los Duderinos at 10 pm
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk: Blues & Jazz music in the Wine Garden from 2 pm to 5 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 5 pm
- The IA: Newport Sideshow at 3 pm with multiple artists
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 1 pm to 4 pm, Jake Dyl from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- No public meetings are scheduled in Newport County.
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.