Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Sunday, July 17.
🌊 On this day in 1954, the first Newport Jazz Festival was held. The two-day event featured academic panel discussions and live music performances from Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Lee Konitz, Eddie Condon and many more.
🌊 Rock legend Todd Rundgren thrilled his fans in a sold-out show at the Greenwich Odeum in East Greenwich Friday, July 15. WUN photographer Rick Farrell was there and shares some photos here.
🌊 On tap for the Infosys Hall Of Fame Open today are the Singles & Doubles Finals. Gates open at 11 am, the doubles final at 12 pm, and the singles final will take place not before 2:30 pm.
🌊 Today is the last day of the Hellenic Fest at St. Spyridon Church, it will be open from 12 pm to 6 pm.
🌊 On tap today for NIMFEST at King Park is Mel & The Unruly Roots and Brian Twohey. 3 pm to 6 pm.
🌊 The Newport International Polo Series 6th annual All Charity Day will be today at 5 pm, as a fun afternoon for supporters of dozens of 501-c-3 organizations to enjoy exciting polo action and a convivial outdoor experience to benefit local civic and charitable organizations.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Patchy fog before 8 am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Light southwest wind becoming south 6 to 11 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 21 mph.
- Tonight: Patchy fog after 2 am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Tomorrow: A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 5 pm. Patchy fog between noon and 4 pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. South wind 8 to 11 mph. The chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Tomorrow Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog before 9pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. The chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 10 kt in the morning. Patchy fog before 8am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SSW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. Patchy fog after 2am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 69°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:26 am | Sunset: 8:15 pm | 14 hours & 49 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 11:34 am & 11:58 pm | Low tide at 5:01 am & 5:08 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 18.4 days, 85% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am: Infosys Hall Of Fame Open – Singles & Doubles Finals at the International Tennis Hall Of Fame
- 10 am to 1:30 pm: Tiverton Farmers Market at Tiverton Middle School Gymnasium
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 12 pm to 6 pm: Hellenic Fest at St. Spyridon Church
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 3 pm: Newport Classical presents Festival Artists Finale at Emmanuel Church
- 3 pm to 6 pm: NIMFEST presents Mel & The Unruly Roots at King Park
- 3 pm: Charity Day at Newport Polo to Benefit Community String Project
- 4 pm: Get Baked at Ragged Island Brewing
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises
- 5 pm: Summer Concert Series presents Wicked Acoustic – Acoustic Rock at Burr’s Hill Park
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Blue Anchor Grill: Chris & Diane at 6:30 pm
- Castle Hill Inn: Live Jazz Music from 11:30 am to 3 pm at the Terrace Bar
- Clarke Cooke House: Bobby Ferreira at 12:30 pm
- Fastnet Irish Pub: Irish Sessions from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Fifth Element: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 11 am to 3 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Keith J.G. McCurdy of Vudu Sister from 12 pm to 3 pm
- Gurney’s: Future Phase Band from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club
- Irish American Club: Karaoke at 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 3 pm to 7 pm
- King Park: Mel & The Unruly Roots, Brian Twohey from 3 pm to 6 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 11 am to 2 pm
- Landing: Dave Alves at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Timeless at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Mojo Rising from 4 pm to 7 pm
- Newport Classical: Festival Artists Finale at 3 pm at Emmanuel Church
- O’Brien’s Pub: George Zecher on Steel Drums from 3 pm to 6 pm, Bingo inside at 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 5 pm
- Pour Judgement: Los Duderinos at 10 pm
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk: Blues & Jazz music in the Wine Garden from 2 pm to 5 pm
- The Deck Restaurant & Bar: Brian Scott at 7 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 5 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 1 pm to 4 pm, Collin Van Pelt from 4 pm to 7 pm
City & Government
- No public meetings are scheduled in Newport County.
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.