With the start of the New Year, the application period has opened for funding from Newport Hospital’s Frederick Henry Prince Memorial Fund. The hospital is making more than $100,000 in “Powered by Prince” grants available to support Newport County programs that work with children.
Newport Hospital issued a request for proposals last November to fund initiatives that encourage healthy physical activity and promote the importance of education for area youth. Local nonprofits, groups, and individuals offering programs for children and youth in Newport County may apply.
Amid COVID-19 and with respect to the health and safety guidelines in place, Newport Hospital is looking for applicants to be as creative and innovative as possible with regard to their programs. The hospital is encouraging outdoor activities, the incorporation of social distancing precautions, and offering a hybrid of virtual and in person opportunities as appropriate to the individual program.
The Frederick Henry Prince Memorial Fund was established in 2010 by a $3 million grant from the Frederick Henry Prince 1932 Trust made to Newport Hospital by Elizabeth Prince of Newport and her children, Guillaume de Ramel, Diana Oehrli, and Regis de Ramel. The fund was created to support programs for underserved children.
Since its inception, the fund has provided more than $756,000 to programs throughout Newport County, including $128,424 awarded to 24 programs in 2020.
The deadline to apply is Friday, January 29, 2021. Applications may be completed online.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits