Governor Gina M. Raimondo and Nicole Alexander-Scott, MD, MPH, the Director of the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH), provided updates to reporters about Rhode Island’s coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) response today at 1 pm.
Video: Press Briefing
Updates From Press Briefing
Gov: We’re still in a plateau, looking forward to decline.
Gov: In the last week, Rhode Islanders have donated more than $1k to artists fund. Go to www.artistcommunities.org, search for Rhode Island Artist Relief Fund, to make a donation.
Gov: Launching riarts.org website with resources to support artists and to provide list of performances going on virtually around the state.
Gov: RISD’s own Shepard Fairey has created RI Angel of Hope and Strength. Image will be available for free downloads at riarts.org. The piece was created to celebrate the courage of healthcare workers specifically and generally symbolize the spirit of hope, strength, compassion, and resilience that we can all find in our self and collectively.”
Gov: Deeply concerning that Latinos account for 45% of COVID-19 cases in state. State is looking into the reasons and working to reach that community via radio, translating info into Spanish, ad campaigns.
Gov: Announces Facebook town hall will be held Tuesday night at 7 pm with Education Commissioner.
Gov: Reminds residents that stay at home order is still in effect. Still not safe to lift ban on gatherings or to allow groups of 5 or more to gather.
Director of Health: On 13 new deaths, 1 in 60s, 1 in 70s, 8 in 80s, 2 in 90s and 1 over 100 years old. 10 of the 13 were nursing home residents.
Director: It’s important to continue getting vaccines for children and guarding against measles, etc. Also important that you continue to seek medical help if you need it for any serious medical reason. If you have chest pain, severe bleeding, broken bones, severe burns, seeking emergency medical care. Don’t push other health issues aside and not seek help because of COVID-19.
What’s Up Newp Question
Today, we asked, Governor/Director, “What information, data, or trends is giving (or will give) you the confidence that lifting the Stay At Home Order on May 9th is the right and best decision to do for everyone’s health and the economy”?
Gov: Will spend Monday’s press conference discussing reopening economy. She gave a preview and says before reopening economy she is looking for decline in cases and hospitalizations, whether health care system prepared, can we do testing and contact tracing.
Watch the Governor answer the question at the 30:00 minute mark in the video;
The Latest Local Data
April 25: 7,129 positive cases, 263 currently hospitalized (77 in ICU, 52 on ventilator), 215 associated fatalities.
Governor, Dr. Alexander-Scott Provide Updates on State Response to COVID-19
Governor Gina M. Raimondo and Nicole Alexander-Scott, MD, MPH, the Director of the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) provided updates on Rhode Island’s response to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) today.
- Arts: Today the state launched a new website, RIArts.org, to connect artists with available resources and provide Rhode Islanders with an up-to-date list of virtual performances happening in the state. The Governor also unveiled an inspirational image called the “R.I. Angel of Hope and Strength” created by Shepard Fairey, RISD graduate, renowned artist and founder of the Obey brand. The image is available for free download on RIArts.org.
- Spanish translation: As of this week, the full video of the daily press briefings will be available in Spanish on the Governor’s Facebook page every evening.
COVID-19 Data Update
Rhode Island has 430 new cases of COVID-19. This brings Rhode Island’s count to 7,129. RIDOH also announced 13 additional COVID-19 associated fatalities. Rhode Island’s number of COVID-19 associated fatalities is now 215. A full data summary for Rhode Island is posted online.
This story is developing and will be updated throughout the day.
More From What’s Up Newp
- HGTV Dream Home in Portsmouth hits the market, can now be yours for $2.39 million
- New York Yacht Club submits challenge and evolutionary draft protocol for 37th America's Cup
- Obituary: Minnie Parker
- What's Up at The Wayfinder and Nomi Park: Rhode Race activities, poolside yoga, eats, cocktails, and more
- Castle Hill Inn debuts new culinary offerings, experiences, and special events