Rep. Lauren H. Carson and Rep. Terri Cortvriend are partnering with the Greater Newport Chamber of Commerce and the Rhode Island Hospitality Association for an educational seminar called “Understanding the Taxes on Tips.”
The seminar, scheduled for Thursday, November 7th, from 10 a.m. to noon, at Innovate Newport is free and open to the public. To register, visit newportchamber.com.
The event will feature Sarah Bratko, vice president of advocacy and general counsel at the Rhode Island Hospitality Association, who will discuss the federal taxes levied on set service charges for large parties in the hospitality industry.
“We encourage local members of the restaurant industry to consider joining us for this event. Understanding the ins and outs of tax obligations can help servers know what to expect in their paychecks and plan accordingly. It can also give them valuable information so they can advocate for themselves when necessary,” said Representative Cortvriend (D-Dist. 72, Portsmouth, Middletown) in a press release.
Said Representative Carson (D-Dist. 75, Newport) in the release, “The service industry is a huge part of our economy here in on Aquidneck Island, and so many of our constituents work in that industry and rely on tips for their income. We want to help ensure that they fully understand all their rights and obligations under the law, and we’re grateful to the Hospitality Association and the Chamber of Commerce for hosting this informative event with us.”
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)