The Redwood Library & Athenæum announced today that they will kick off their first John J. Slocum Jr Memorial Lecture with humorist, Christopher Buckley. His presentation, “My Old Man and The Sea” is a son’s memoir of sailing adventures with the late William F. Buckley, Jr. and will be held:
Friday, 25th October 2019 at 6.00 pm at Bazarsky Hall, O’Hare Academic Center at Salve Regina University, Newport
Christopher Buckley is renowned as a novelist, essayist, critic, magazine editor and memoirist. His books have been translated into sixteen foreign languages. He worked as a merchant seaman and White House speech writer. He has written for a variety of magazines and newspapers and has lectured in over 70 cities around the world. His awards include the Thurber Prize for American Humor and the Washington Irving Medal for Literary Excellence.
The John J. Slocum Memorial Lecture is generously sponsored by an anonymous donor.
Tickets are $35 and available at redwoodlibrary.org/programs or by calling 401.847.0292 x 115.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays