The Redwood Library & Athenæum announced today that they will kick off their first John J. Slocum Jr Memorial Lecture with humorist, Christopher Buckley. His presentation, “My Old Man and The Sea” is a son’s memoir of sailing adventures with the late William F. Buckley, Jr. and will be held:
Friday, 25th October 2019 at 6.00 pm at Bazarsky Hall, O’Hare Academic Center at Salve Regina University, Newport
Christopher Buckley is renowned as a novelist, essayist, critic, magazine editor and memoirist. His books have been translated into sixteen foreign languages. He worked as a merchant seaman and White House speech writer. He has written for a variety of magazines and newspapers and has lectured in over 70 cities around the world. His awards include the Thurber Prize for American Humor and the Washington Irving Medal for Literary Excellence.
The John J. Slocum Memorial Lecture is generously sponsored by an anonymous donor.
Tickets are $35 and available at redwoodlibrary.org/programs or by calling 401.847.0292 x 115.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 10 – 17)
- Common Fence Music to present Dedicated Men of Zion in streaming concert
- Whalers Brewing Company to give a free keg of beer to every bar and restaurant in Rhode Island
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now