Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project (RIMAP) announced today that the preliminary evaluation of artifacts and samples retrieved from the potential Endeavour site in Newport Harbor will be open for public observation at their temporary facility on the grounds of Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina.
The exhibit will be open from 11 am to 4 pm on August 28-30 and September 3-7, weather permitting.
According to RIMAP, Gurney’s has also installed a shore-side sign overlooking the shipwreck’s location, and from there the public may also observe the RIMAP, Australian National Maritime Museum and Silentworld Foundation archaeological divers at work to expose the ship’s structure and retrieve the artifacts and samples that may determine if this shipwreck site could be the Endeavour Bark of Capt. Cook’s first circumnavigation.
“This is a rare opportunity for the public to observe how the materials are handled from an archaeological site, especially if they are what remains on one of the most important ships in the history of European exploration. Walk through Gurney’s hotel to the northwest shore of Goat Island to see the processing of the artifacts and to observe the divers,” RIMAP states in an announcement today.
More On The Search For Endeavour
- August 23, 2019 – Search resumes for Captain Cook’s Endeavour in Newport Harbor
- April 28, 2019 – Video: RIMAP announces 2019 Endeavour Study Plans; will create artifact management facility at Herreshoff…
- April 18, 2019 – RI Marine Archaeology Project announces 2019 Endeavour Study Plans
- March 20, 2019 – Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project will host Annual Meeting on March 30th
- October 1, 2018 – Podcast: Dr. Kathy Abbass from RIMAP joins us to chat about possible discovery of…
- September 18, 2018 – Archaeologists to provide update on the search in Newport Harbor for Capt. Cook’s Endeavour
- August 1, 2018 – Why it is so hard to find Capt. Cook’s Endeavour in Newport Harbor
- September 28, 2016 – RIMAP To Provide Update on Search for Captain Cook’s Endeavour in Newport Harbor
- May 5, 2016 – PODCAST #97: Dr. Kathy Abbass from RIMAP Talks About Discovery of Captain Cook’s ‘Endeavour’…
- May 2, 2016 – Captain Cook’s Endeavour May Have Been Found Off Coast of Newport, RI 230 Years…