Here’s a look at some of the biggest events happening in June 2019 – expect some of the biggest crowds this month to gather at the following events.
1. Newport Pride Weekend – May 31st – June 2nd: Join Newport Out as they celebrate pride month in our seaside city with a bike ride, drag brunch, and more. More info
2. IYRS Graduation & Launch Day – June 1st: IYRS students, along with their friends, families and the Newport community, gather each year to celebrate a unique accomplishment that few get to experience; launching and sailing restored boats that were built over the course of the previous nine months. More Info
3. Newport Polo Opens 28th Season – June 1st: On Saturday, June 1st at 5 pm, Chile will compete against the USA at the Newport International Polo Grounds. More Info
4. BankNewport 10 Miler – June 2nd: The course prominently features Newport’s scenic coastal views and ends with a truly unique finish as participants enter Fort Adams through the north gate and finish on the parade field. More info.
5. Washington Square Nights at Stoneacre Brasserie and Jane Pickens Theater – June 4th: The concept is that The JPT will pick a one night only film that ties to a theme usually on the first Tuesday of the month. Stoneacre Brasserie will add something special to their menu that ties to that theme for the evening. More Info
6. Newport Gulls Home Opener- June 5th: Newport Gulls open up their 2019 season versus the Mystic Schooners at Cardines Field. Catch the Gulls at Cardines Field on most Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays all summer long. More info
7. Tell Newport: The Worst– June 6th: Join TELLNEWPORT at the historic Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center Newport: Stories connect us. Hear unscripted, moving narratives that touch on the universal themes of love and loss, hope and pain, and all the nuanced places in between. Be a part of the storytelling movement that aims to transcend the differences among us and create a sense of comfort and community as nothing else can. More info.
8. Clean Ocean Access’s World Oceans Day Fundraiser – June 6th: The celebration will take place at Easton’s Beach Rotunda and will have live music, a catered dinner and the presentation of the third “CLEAN OCEAN ACCESS MISSION2.OCEAN AWARD” to an outstanding COA volunteer. Prior to the event, there will be a clean up at Easton’s (First) Beach! The cleanup and fundraiser are both in celebration of the international World Oceans Day event and to promote COA’s goals of eliminating marine debris, improving coastal water quality and protecting and preserving shoreline access. See you there! More Info
9. 25th Annual Leukemia Cup Regatta – June 7th – 8th: For the 25th year, the New England sailing community will come together in support The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society at the 2019 Leukemia Cup Regatta. Sailors fund-raise with their crew throughout the year and celebrate the culmination of their impact on Regatta Weekend, set to take place on June 7-8 at New York Yacht Club. Nationwide, over $66 million has been raised since the first Leukemia Cup in 1988. Whether you plan to join the event on the water to sail, or simply would like to join in for the Friday evening cocktail party or Saturday afternoon BBQ, together the community can make an impact on the lives of patients and their families. More Info
10. Annual Visitors Day at Swiss Village Farm – June 8th: Swiss Village Farm (SVF) will open their doors on Saturday, June 8th from 9 am to 3 pm to allow the public to tour their grounds and to learn about endangered breeds and cryo-preservation. The only day of the year that SVF is open to the public, visitors are invited to take self-guided tours through the historic grounds and take a peek into their state-of-the-art facilities and meet the SVF laboratory, veterinary, and animal care staff. More Info
11. newportFILM presents Maiden at JPT – June 12th: The story of Tracy Edwards, a 24-year-old cook on charter boats, who became the skipper of the first ever all-female crew to enter the Whitbread Round the World Race in 1989. More Info
12. Race On Over, The 16th Annual Seaside Gala – June 13th: Race on Over, the 16th Annual Seaside Gala, will be held Thursday, June 13, 2019 at Castle Hill Inn, Newport, RI. The event, which, this year, draws inspiration from horse racing’s elite events, will begin at 5:30 p.m. with a cocktail hour and silent mobile auction, followed by musical entertainment by the Larry Brown Swinglane Orchestra, dinner, and an awards presentation. The Honorable Gina M. Raimondo, Governor of the State of Rhode Island, is this year’s Honorary Event Chairperson. More Info
13. Newport Spring Secret Garden Tours – June 14th – 16th: Join Secret Garden Tours for self-guided walking tours of private gardens located in historic Newport. Each tour features about a dozen beautiful gardens. The tours run daily from 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM and tickets are good for any or all days of the tour, allowing for inclement weather, schedule conflicts, or just a late start. More Info.
14. Trinity Church’s Strawberry Festival – June 15th: Trinity Church will once again be serving delicious Strawberry shortcake with local berries and Chantilly whipped cream, also fresh squeezed lemonade and water from 11 am to 5 pm. There will be craft vendors all day, and live music from noon – 4 PM. Strawberries by the carton while they last!
15. Norman Bird Sanctuary’s Annual 5k Run/Walk – June 15th: Run, jog, or walk your way past beautiful views of Second and Third Beach and Norman Bird Sanctuary’s rolling fields and rocky ridges while the birds cheer you on! Kids can join the fun by registering for the Frosty Freez Kids’ Run. Join us back at the Sanctuary after the race for refreshments and the awards ceremony. More Info
16. Newport Restoration’s Newport County Free Days – June 15th – 16th:
Have you lived in Newport your whole life and always wondered what went on at Doris Duke’s place? Now’s your chance! Residents of Newport, Middletown, and Portsmouth, Jamestown, Tiverton, and Little Compton are invited to roam around Rough Point and enjoy one of the best views in Newport. Whitehorne House Museum will also be open free to Newport County residents 10:00 am – 4:00 pm through the weekend. More Info
17. Newport Charter Yacht Show – June 17th – 20th: The 2018 Newport Charter Yacht Show showcases luxury charter yachts alongside a display of ancillary goods and services for the yacht charter industry. More Info
18. The Clagett Regatta – June 19th – 23rd: The 17th annual Clagett Regatta will be held at Sail Newport in Fort Adams State Park June 19-23, 2019. This year adaptive sailors will be competing in three classes; the single handed 2.4mR class, the single handed Martin 16 class and the triple handed Sonar class. Sailors from across North America will attend the coaching clinic and fleet racing regatta. More Info
19. Taproot’s First Anniversary – June 19th: Taproot Brewing Co. is turning ONE – come celebrate our first trip around the sun! Taps will be flowing, lawn and board games out in their glory, live music will be jamming, wine and beer tastings, farm-fresh food stations, swag raffle and more. More Info
20. Annual Newport Flower Show – June 21st – 23rd: American ornithologist and painter John James Audubon (1785-1851) declared that he only came alive when “in the field” of this wild new land. His artful hand created a pictorial journal not only of the birds he loved but also of their habitats. Join The Preservation Society of Newport County as they travel with this visionary naturalist in their own Artistic Adventure. More info
21. Yacht Rock The Dock – June 29th: Seamen’s annual Rock the Docks summer party has a fresh look and location for the organization’s Centennial year: get ready to YACHT ROCK THE DOCK at IYRS’ Restoration Hall on June 29th. Whether you choose to channel soft rock vibes of the 70’s and 80’s or sport crisp cotton and preppy stripes – get nautical and get your groove on! The evening will include entertainment by Them Apples, a raw bar, appetizer stations, open bar with signature cocktails and exciting raffle items to raise money in support of Seamen’s unique programs and services supporting Newport’s maritime heritage. More Info
22. Newport Pell Bridge 50th Celebration – June 28th: The Newport Pell Bridge 50th Celebration at Fort Adams State Park from 6 pm to 10 pmwill include live music, food trucks, and fireworks at 9:15 pm ( rain date Sunday June 30). More Info
23. Live Local Luau – June 29th: Introducing the Live Local Luau! Brought to you by the Live Local Music And Arts Festival, the Live Local Luau is a free concert taking place in the parking lot of The King Lens & Friends that will feature Camden Murphy, The Z-Boys, and The High Tidals, benefiting the Rogers High School Music And Arts Department. More Info
24. Newport State Airport’s Airport Day – June 29th: Newport State Airport will host their second annual Airport Appreciation Day on June 29th. Come see what is in your backyard!
Our Event Calendar
The Latest From WUN
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend
- AARP Analysis: COVID-19 deaths and cases in Rhode Island nursing homes increased from August to September