Looking for some family fun this summer? Interested in learning more about heritage breed livestock? Join Swiss Village Foundation (SVF Foundation) for their annual Visitors Day celebration, and enjoy a day packed with fascinating information and fun activities, all set on SVF’s breathtaking 35-acre property in Newport.
SVF is a nonprofit farm working towards the collection and preservation of genetics from rare breeds of livestock.
SVF’s Annual Visitors Day, which is scheduled for 9 am to 3 pm on Saturday, June 8th, 2019, is the only day of the year that the public can tour the property.
Visitors Day Highlights
-Take self-guided tours through the historic Swiss Village
-Peek into our state-of-the-art facilities and meet the SVF laboratory, veterinary, and animal care staff
-Visit Chip, a rare Tennessee myotonic goat born from a frozen embryo, and learn about other endangered breeds of livestock
-Attend live cryogenics and sheep shearing demonstrations
-Shop SVF’s selection of farm products and heritage breed meat
-Returning this year- Julians Omnibus, a double-decker food truck serving local heritage breed burgers and munchies.
– Ditch the car and enjoy a beautiful bike ride to Visitors Day! Free bike parking is available on site and bicyclists are encouraged to enter from our Beacon Hill Road entrance. Bicyclists can also walk their bikes through.
This event is free to the public. Parking will be available at Fort Adams State Park and free transportation will be provided by trolley from 9am – 3pm. There will be no parking available at SVF.
For more information, visit www.svffoundation.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library