Here are the biggest events happening in June 2018 – expect some of the biggest crowds this month to gather at the following events.
1. 37th Annual Great Chowder Cook-Off – June 2nd: The legendary Great Chowder Cook-Off is the original and longest-running event of its kind in the nation, and officially kicks off Rhode Island’s summer festivities! Enjoy endless samples of traditional and exotic creations- over 20 local, national and international competitors. You vote for your favorites and the winners walk away with overflowing prize pots and bragging rights for the year! More info at http://www.newportwaterfrontevents.com/great-chowder-cook-off/.
2. IYRS Graduation & Launch Day – June 2nd: IYRS students, along with their friends, families and the Newport community, gather each year to celebrate a unique accomplishment that few get to experience; launching and sailing restored boats that were built over the course of the previous nine months. More Info
3. Newport Polo Opens 27th Season – June 2nd: On Saturday, June 2nd at 5 pm, Poland will make its debut to compete against the USA. More Info
4. King Park Day – June 2nd: Friends of the Waterfront (FOW), Friends of King Park, the City of Newport, and other environmental groups are joining forces Saturday, June 2, at King Park to shower the waterfront recreation area with some eco-friendly events. Activities for adults and kids alike. More info at http://www.newportwaterfront.org/.
5. BankNewport 10 Miler – June 3rd: The course prominently features Newport’s scenic coastal views and ends with a truly unique finish as participants enter Fort Adams through the north gate and finish on the parade field. More info at https://www.newport10miler.com/.
6. US Court Tennis Professionals Singles Championship – June 4th – 9th: U.S. Professional Singles playing for the Schochet Cup. This year U.S. National Camden River is defending his 8-year winning record. More info at http://www.uscourttennis.org/event/u-s-professional-singles/
7. Love Means Zero: A newportFILM screening – June 6th: newportFILM, in partnership with the International Tennis Hall Of Fame, will present Love Means Zero at Casino Theater on June 6th. More info at https://www.newportfilm.com/film-events/films/love-means-zero
8. Lei’s On The Bay Kick-Off Party – June 7th: Join The Newport Harbor Hotel for their first annual Leis on the Bay summer kick off party! Hosted out on the Marina Lawn at The Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina. Tantalize your taste buds with a pig roast, raw bar, full buffet! Unwind with open beer and wine bar with signature cocktails, including the refreshing Mai Tai, Rhode Trip Beer and Summer Hefeweizen compliments of Newport Storm! Steel Drum band, Roots Reaction reggae band throughout the night! Bocce Ball, Corn Hole, Fire Pits. More info at https://leisonthebaytickets.eventbrite.com/?aff=efbeventtix.
9. Tell Newport: All In – June 7th: Join TELLNEWPORT at the historic Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center Newport: Stories connect us. Hear unscripted, moving narratives that touch on the universal themes of love and loss, hope and pain, and all the nuanced places in between. Be a part of the storytelling movement that aims to transcend the differences among us and create a sense of comfort and community as nothing else can. More info at http://janepickens.com/shows/tellnewport-anniversary
10. Elliot’s Ride For Safety – June 10th: Elliot’s Ride for Everyone is a FREE, all-day bicycle event for every age, every skill, everyone! Come out and ride along Newport’s scenic ocean coastline! Whether it’s your first time, or your favorite ride, this is the day to celebrate the joy of bike riding together. Or choose to WALK the two-mile, scenic Harbor Walk loop. More info at http://elliotsride.org/.
11. Newport Bermuda Race – June 15th: The Race is a 635 nautical-mile ocean race first sailed in 1906 and held biennially in even-numbered years. The race usually takes three to six days as it crosses a stretch of the Atlantic Ocean known for challenging weather; especially in the Gulf Stream, where there are strong currents. The start is off Castle Hill Light. More info at http://bermudarace.com/
12. Newport Spring Secret Garden Tours – June 15th – 17th: Join Secret Garden Tours for self-guided walking tours of private gardens located in historic Newport, Rhode Island. Each tour features about a dozen beautiful gardens. The tours run daily from 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM and tickets are good for any or all days of the tour, allowing for inclement weather, schedule conflicts, or just a late start. More Info at http://www.secretgardentours.org/.
13. Annual Visitors Day at Swiss Village Farm – June 16th: Swiss Village Farm (SVF) will open their doors on Saturday, June 16th from 9 am to 3 pm to allow the public to tour their grounds and to learn about endangered breeds and cryo-preservation. The only day of the year that SVF is open to the public, visitors are invited to take self-guided tours through the historic grounds and take a peek into their state-of-the-art facilities and meet the SVF laboratory, veterinary, and animal care staff. More Info
14. First Annual Airport Day – June 16th: Newport State Airport first annual Airport Appreciation Day Come see what is in your backyard! Skydiving discounts for reservations, Airplane and helicopter rides $30 per person, What is with all this Drone talk, Pre-flight an airplane with a local pilot, Food trucks, Q&A, Recruits from our local guard, See what keeps this airport in tip-top shape, Cars and Vintage WWII planes. More info at https://www.facebook.com/events/519024948500131/
15. Father’s Day Hike at Ballard Park – June 17th: Start Father’s Day with a hike through the trails of Ballard Park. Friends of Ballard Park staff will host a guided tour of the thirteen nature preserve providing information on its history, unique features and habitats like a vernal pond, woodland forest, and quarry meadow. More info at http://www.ballardpark.org/
16. June 18th – 21st – Newport Charter Yacht Show – The 2018 Newport Charter Yacht Show showcases luxury charter yachts alongside a display of ancillary goods and services for the yacht charter industry. More Info at http://www.newportchartershow.com/
17. What’sUpNewp & JPT host Caddyshack Party – June 20th: What’s Up Newp and Jane Pickens Theater & Event Center are teaming up once again for the screening of a classic film and some fun. Join us on Wednesday, June 20th for our “Caddyshack Party” – a special screening of Caddyshack (1980), mini-golf, and more! More info at http://janepickens.com/shows/whats-up-new-jpt-present-caddyshack-party
18. Annual Newport Flower Show – June 22 – 24th: Gilded Age “cottages” were built with every convenience, designed for entertaining and to represent a lifestyle. Today’s cottages, much like their gilded ancestors, are also about lifestyle. Join the Preservation Society of Newport County to celebrate the tiniest of homes, which are smart in both technology and style. Their adjacent gardens are equally thoughtful, livable spaces, both functional and beautiful. More info at http://www.newportmansions.org/events/newport-flower-show.
19. Newport Pride Weekend – June 23 – 24th: Join Newport Out as they celebrate pride month in our seaside city with a bike ride, drag brunch, and more. More info at https://www.facebook.com/events/137840017076450/
20. Back To The Beach For A Novel Evening – June 24th: Save The Date for Back to the Beach for A Novel Evening on June 24th, 2018 at Easton’s Beach Rotunda to Benefit the Newport Public Library. Casual Attire & Flipflops Encouraged. More Info at http://www.newportlibraryri.org/
More From What’s Up Newp
- Aquidneck Land Trust awards 13 grants to local community, neighborhood groups through Merritt Neighborhood Fund
- Newport Polo’s 20th annual charity gala will benefit Jeffrey Osborne Foundation
- Preservation Society of Newport County receives prestigious award from Garden Club of America
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: May 14 – 16
- Beavertail Lighthouse, Watch Hill Lighthouse are being given away for free