The entire Rogers High School student body, grades 9 – 12, will assemble in the Rogers auditorium on Thursday, March 16, 2017, starting at 9:00 A.M. to listen to Peter F. Neronha, U.S. Attorney for the District of Rhode Island.
The Attorney General will address the students about opioid and heroin addiction following a presentation of “Chasing the Dragon: The Life of An Opiate Addict” a documentary video aimed at educating students and young adults about the dangers of addictions, and a firsthand account from Deborah Parente, a mother who speaks about the accidental overdose death of her 25 year old son. Questions and answers will follow.
The presentation should last an hour leaving time for students to return to their advisory periods to process the information.
The program is sponsored by the Rogers Student Assistance Program/Rhode Island Student Assistance Services (RISAS), the Newport Prevention Coalition, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office District of Rhode Island.
Peter F. Neronha was appointed by President Barack Obama as the United States Attorney for the District of Rhode Island on September 16, 2009. In his capacity as chief federal law enforcement officer for Rhode Island, Mr. Neronha supervises the prosecution of federal crimes and the litigation of civil matters in which the federal government has an interest either as a plaintiff or defendant.
A fourth generation native of Jamestown, Rhode Island, and a proud graduate of North Kingstown High School, Mr. Neronha graduated in 1985 summa cum laude from Boston College.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools