The Preservation Society of Newport County today issued this statement in response to the Rhode Island Supreme Court’s refusal to hear an appeal of the Newport Zoning Board’s approval of a Special Use Permit for a welcome center at The Breakers:

The Preservation Society of Newport County welcomes today’s decision by the Rhode Island Supreme Court to let stand Judge Stone’s ruling that no further review is needed of the Newport Zoning Board’s approval of The Breakers welcome center.

“This is exceptionally good news for the more than 450,000 people who visit The Breakers each year from around the world,” said Preservation Society Chairman Monty Burnham. “Having modern hospitality for visitors to this National Historic Landmark is vital.  It’s time now to set aside the differences over this project and move on to strengthen Newport’s future.”

“The Preservation Society thanks the thousands of people who have supported this effort,” said CEO and Executive Director Trudy Coxe.  “We especially congratulate the Newport Zoning Board for its careful consideration of this project.  A Special Use Permit is only approved on the merits of each individual proposal.  We have always believed in the unique merits of The Breakers welcome center.”

On Saturday, January 21, the Rhode Island Supreme Court issued the following one-line ruling:  “The petition for writ of certiorari is denied.”

The Latest From WUN

Ryan Belmore has been the Owner & Publisher of What's Up Newp since 2012. He also currently works for Mountain News, where he serves as Senior Editor - North America for OnTheSnow. He previously worked for the New England Patriots and American Cancer Society. He currently serves as Vice President of Fort Adams Trust and is a member of Local Independent Online News (LION) Publishers and North American Snowsports Journalists Association (NASJA).