Sign up for What’sUpNewp’s free daily newsletter, we’ll keep you in the know!
It’s wicked good, we promise!
The Newport Marathon will take place on Sunday, October 9th, and will feature a full marathon and half-marathon course through Newport and Middletown.
The race will begin and end at Easton’s Beach and utilize long stretches of roads in both communities, including Memorial Boulevard, Ocean Ave., Tuckerman Ave., and Hanging Rock Road, making for an especially scenic road race.
The sold-out event is expected to draw approximately 4,000 participants and will raise more than $64,000 for local charities.
Roads will be managed by the Newport and Middletown Police Departments and will largely remain open to traffic throughout the day, but delays and temporary stoppages can be expected from 7:00 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Memorial Blvd. in front of Easton’s Beach will close at 7:00 AM, traffic will be diverted. Memorial Blvd. will be impacted until roughly 8:00 AM. Thames St. will be closed from about 7:30 AM to 8:15 AM. Roads will mostly remain open with police details at intersections. Expect delays. Runners will remain on roads in Newport until approximately 11:00 AM and in Middletown until approximately 1:30 PM.
Areas Impacted & Times Impacted
- Memorial Boulevard/Bellevue Avenue 7 a.m. – 7:45 a.m.
- Wellington Ave./Clinton St. 7:40 a.m. – 8 a.m.
- Harrison Ave. (before Beacon Hill Rd.) 7:46 a.m. – 8:15 a.m.
- Fort Adams Drive 7:51 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
- Harrison Ave./Ridge Rd. 7:56 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
- Ocean Ave./Winans Ave 8:02 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- Ocean Ave./ Harrison Ave. 8:07 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.
- Ocean Ave./Goose Neck Cove 8:12 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Ocean Ave./Carroll Ave. 8:18 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- Bellevue Ave./Lakeview Ave. 8:23 a.m. – 10 a.m.
- Ruggles Ave./Lawrence Ave. 8:28 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
- Annandale Rd./E. Bowery St. 8:34 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Easton’s Beach 7a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Tuckerman Ave. 8:45 a.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Paradise Ave./Hanging Rock Rd. 8:50 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Sachuest Point Rd./3rd Beach Rd. 8:55 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
- Hanging Rock Rd./3rd Beach Rd. 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Indian Ave. 9:10 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
- Old Mill Ln./Wapping Rd. 9:20 a.m. -12:45 p.m.
Parking For Event
Parking is not allowed at the race start/finish at Easton’s Beach. Race day parking is designated by which race participants are registered. Shuttles will provide transportation before and after the race, Marathon Parking will be at Second Beach and Half-Marathon Parking will be at Aquidneck Island Industrial Park.
Shuttle service will begin promptly at 5:00 AM and will run continuously. Shuttle service will run through 2:30 PM, providing rides back to the Second Beach and Aquidneck Island Industrial Park parking lots.
Organized & Sponsored By
The event is organized by Gray Matter Marketing, who also organizes local events such as the Citizens Bank Pell Bridge Run, Newport 10 Miler, Craft Brew Races and Newport Night Run.
The events is sponsored by Polar Beverage, Brick Alley Pub, Anchor Leg Coaching, Run Newport, GameFace Media, BiPro, LaraBar, Studio Barre, Bridge To Fitness and The Bodhi Spa.
The Newport Marathon has partnered with the Ronald McDonald House of Providence, The Aquidneck Land Trust, The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, Boys Town New England and The Newport County YMCA to help raise money and awareness. The first $15 from every entry fee is donated directly to these five official and local charities.
Folks can support those running for charity and these organizations by visiting www.crowdrise.com/2016newportmarathon.
Volunteer For The Race
If you are interested in volunteering for any portion of Newport Marathon event weekend from October 7th to October 9th, contact Gray Matter Marketing by phone at 401-856-9197 or e-mail email@example.com. All volunteers receive a branded race shirt.