What’s Up Newp’s content is free to read, and always will be, but we rely on your support to keep it that way.
It takes just 30 seconds and you can choose the amount.
On August 10th, Newport City Council will receive a “Request For City Council Action” from the City Manager and Newport Fire Department that will ask the city council to accept the 2016 Port Security Grant Program (PSGP) Award for the procurement of a new Fire & Rescue Boat.
Many residents have voiced concern or support over the $1 million price tag, grant and necessity of the new Fire & Rescue Boat, some have expressed concern over cost of running such a complex vehicle and the area that the vessel will be required to cover, while supporters have said that with such a busy harbor that it is a necessity for the Fire Department to have such a vessel.
It is important to note that the breakdown for the $1 million price tag is $241,125.00 for the City of Newport and $723,375 makes up the Federal Grant.
With the meeting and decision by Newport City Council fast approaching – do you think the City should acquire the new boat?
See all 31 pages of the communication here – Action Item # 5566/16 RE: 2016 Port Security Grant Award (w/accompanying resolution)
More From What’s Up Newp
- Obituary: Claire E. (Randall) Curtis
- Obituary: Marianne F. (Fitzgerald) Marley
- Forum Lodge awards scholarships to two Aquidneck Island high school graduates
- Robert Berry, rock musician and former member of Keith Emerson’s “3” joins What’s Up Newp for a live virtual conversation on Monday
- Sax greats Abate and Moretti release new albums in 2021
- Easton’s Beach reopens for swimming
- Obituary: Anna Maria DeSousa
- Obituary: Manuel G. Moitoza, III
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “In the Heights”
- The Gamm Theatre Announces Auditions for Season 37 (2021-2022)
- Brian C. Jones: In case of emergency, don’t call me
- RIDOH and DEM are advising people to avoid contact with Almy Pond due to a blue-green algae
- Record Store Day returns Saturday, June 12th
- Newport Polo will host its annual Newport Cup on Saturday
- DEM hosting virtual workshop on draft water quality restoration study for Newport water supply reservoirs