Between May 4 and May 6, Joe Harris will return to Newport, Rhode Island on board his Class 40, Gryphon Solo 2 completing a solo circumnavigation of the globe. Members of the public are invited to watch Joe complete his voyage from the Sail Newport pier in Fort Adams State Park in Newport, Rhode Island. Joe will dock at the Sail Newport Sailing Center for a public welcome and press conference immediately following his arrival.
U.S. short-handed sailor, Joe Harris departed Newport, Rhode Island on November 15, 2015 in an attempt to break the non-stop solo Around the World Record for 40-foot monohulls. Harris sustained damage to his hydrogenerators forcing him to stop in Cape Town, South Africa on December 28, 2015 ending his record attempt.
However, Joe elected to continue on and complete his solo sail around the world. Joe was again was forced to stop in Pirialopolis, Uruguay on March 24, 2015 due to hull damage. Following a seven-day pit-stop, Joe resumed sailing and is in the final 1,600 miles of the trip. Upon returning, Joe will join a small select group of approximately 136 who have sailed solo around the world leaving the five great capes (Good Hope – South Africa, Leeuwin – Australia, South East Cape – Tasmania, South West Cape – New Zealand, Cape Horn) to port.
Estimated Arrival Time Between May 4 and May 6, follow http://gryphonsolo2.com and the Gryphon Solo 2 Facebook Page for the most up to date arrival time. Updated Media Advisories will be sent 48-hours and 24-hours in advance of Joe’s arrival.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck