This inaugural festival, called “newportFILM SPORTS hosted by the International Tennis Hall of Fame”, is a celebration of the positive role sports play in our society.
“Through documentary films and shorts, guest filmmakers, presentations, and receptions, a greater understanding of sports, its role in our shared history and identity, and as a vehicle to educate, is explored,” the newportFILM website explains.
Sports fans can expect 7-10 films and supplemental related sporting events for all ages throughout the weekend as the festival utilizes venues on the ITHF campus including the Casino Theatre, the newly renovated USTA Wing, the indoor tennis Bubble, and the Horseshoe Court.
Documentaries will range from the classic gentleman’s sports to contemporary X-Games style sports and industry-related themes. Also featured will be panel discussions and post-film Q&A’s with filmmakers and/or film subjects, and celebrity and local athletes.
This story will be updated as more information is received.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Obituary: Eileen Schultz English
- Obituary: Joseph R Casale
- Gerry Goldstein: Horse sense from a cowboy philosopher
- Opinion: Lucy’s Hearth needs the community’s support now more than ever
- National Grid making progress in restoration efforts
- Celtic Woman’s “Postcards From Ireland” arriving at Mohegan Sun Arena on March 18, 2022
- What’s Up This Weekend: Salve Fall Festival Weekend, Halloween Hilarity, Trunk or Treat, and more
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch