Three students from Island Moving Co.’s Pell School Class at the Newport Academy of Ballet made their Nutcracker debuts in the cast of the 14th season of the Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff. Kathleen Medieros, Malak Mohamed, Alexander Viveiros auditioned for the children’s cast in September and performed with their fellow mice, soldiers, snow children and candy canes to sold out audiences in Rosecliff.
Kathleen, Malak and Alex danced in Glen Lewis’ Pell School class at the Newport Academy of Ballet in the prior school year. Island Moving Co. offers the class for free to Pell School students who have participated in Island Moving Co’s creative movement program at their school and who expressed a desire to continue their dance studies. The class, as well as the students’ further study at Newport Academy of Ballet, is supported by the Fre
derick Prince Memorial Fund at Newport Hospital. The Fund was the founding funder of the class, which is now in its fifth successful season. Presently, there are 18 students in Lewis’ Tuesday class and six prior students studying at their peer group level at the Newport Academy of Ballet.
Over 100 children have benefited from the scholarship program supported by the Prince Fund as well as other donors.
For information about Island Moving Co.’s programs visit islandmovingco.org.
The Latest From WUN
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16