The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority (RITBA) today announced that it will be doing infrastructure repairs and upgrades on the Jamestown-Verrazzano Bridge for six weeks beginning Tuesday, October 13, 2015 until Tuesday, November 24th, 2015.
This construction will necessitate the routine closing of lanes periodically on both the eastbound and westbound sides of the bridge during non-commuter hours. The construction will also consist of a permanent lane closure on the Eastbound inside/high speed lane beginning Monday, October 19, 2015 through Sunday October 25, 2015.
The following is the schedule for expected lane closures:
Tuesday, October 13 – Tuesday, November 24th :
- Eastbound Lane: Periodic closures occurring 9am-5pm
- Westbound Lane: Periodic closures occurring 7am – 3pm
Monday, October 19 – Sunday, October 25th :
- Eastbound Lane (Inside/High Speed) Lane: Closed 24 hours a day for the week
The construction on the Jamestown-Verrazzano Bridge is the result of findings within the 2015 Biennial Bridge Inspection. The construction work being completed will include replacing steel hatches and concrete repair on the bridge deck, replacing drainage troughs, repairing expansion joints, and repairing damaged guard rails. Portions of this work will include concrete repairs that necessitate a proper curing process that require the center lane to be closed for a longer duration than the standard daily lane closures. The Authority thanks everyone for their patience during this time of construction.
Members of the public can check bridge conditions and closures by contacting RITBA at 401-423-0800, check its website at www.ritba.org , on Twitter or on Facebook.
Content Presented By
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)