Black smoke bellows from the sailing vessel Northern Phoenix, Monday, Oct. 12, 2015. A Coast Guard crew from Station Castle Hill rescued the sailing vessel’s two crew members. (U.S. Coast Guard Photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin Leary)
The following news release was provided by the U.S. Coast Guard Newsroom.
BOSTON — The Coast Guard rescued two people from a burning sailboat Monday afternoon about a mile south of Sakonnet Point, Rhode Island.
At approximately 4 p.m., Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England watchstanders received a distress call via VHF-16 radio from the two-person crew aboard the 24-foot sail boat Northern Phoenix, from Ottawa, Canada, saying it was on fire.
A 45-Foot Motor Lifeboat crew from Coast Guard Station Castle Hill launched and arrived on scene at approximately 4:30 p.m. By this time, the Northern Phoenix crew had abandoned ship and boarded an 8-foot life raft. The Coast Guard crew quickly located the raft and brought the two people aboard.
No injuries were reported.
The Rhode Island Department on Environmental Management, North Kingstown Fire Department, and Warwick Fire Department marine units responded to the burning boat, and extinguished the flames. The owner then arranged with commercial salvers to tow the vessel to port.
“The crew of the sailboat was well prepared with a life raft and a handheld marine radio,” said Petty Officer 1st Class Andrew Stokes, the operations unit controller at Sector Southeastern New England’s command center. “Having those tools available ensured a safe rescue.”
Content Presented By
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck