Another day/week/season and Newport luckily finds itself on another great list. This time around Newport has been mentioned by Huffington Post as one of the 10 Most Beautiful US Towns to Visit in the Fall.
Joining Newport among the list is Stowe, VT; Woodstock, NY; Beacon, NY; Bethlehem, PA; Vail, CO; Hood River, OR; Port Townsend, WA and Avalon, CA.
Huffington Post says that the ten towns offer “stunning leaves, family-friendly accommodations, activities and things to do for all ages.”
Here’s what they had to say about The City By The Sea…
“Newport, Rhode Island
Newport is one of America’s great, historic cities; and it shines in the fall, making it the perfect family fall getaway. This is a city whose prime attractions are decadent mansions, and they are stunning when surrounded by colorful foliage. In addition to seeing the leaves, kids will love one-hour narrated cruises around Newport Harbor or a visit to Fort Adams State Park where kids can explore a citadel. Kids will love a ride on Newport’s Old Colony & Newport Railway, a historic ride along the west side of Aquidneck Island. The Newport Exploration Center is a maritime museum for children where kids can learn about sea life. The Newport area is also host to a dozen or so apple orchards such as Rocky Brook Orchard, a family run orchard.
Where to stay: If you have never stayed in a lighthouse, now’s your chance. Lighthouse Inn of Galilee offers harbor side rooms with kid-friendly amenities such as Internet access, an indoor swimming pool, arcade and game room. For something more straightforward, head to the Newport Marriott, with amenities that include an indoor pool, spa, and best of all, proximity to the mansions on Ocean Drive.”
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)