John Francis Dennis, age 85, of Middletown, RI, passed away on August 21, 2021 at home. He was the husband of the late Sheila (Sullivan) Dennis for 58 years until her passing in 2016.
John was born in Newport, RI to the late Jesse and Anne Marie (Ryan) Dennis. He graduated from Rogers High School and soon began a long career at Kent’s Alignment as an auto mechanic. Known by family and friends as Frank, his spare time was filled with woodworking, sailing, weightlifting, reading, or taking a ride around “The Drive”. He truly loved spending time outside, especially long days at Peabody’s Beach, where he could share endless hours with his grandchildren. Frank enjoyed traveling to Florida to spend time with his extended family. He adored his many nieces and nephews. A great day would be capped off with a good dinner out and something to fix his sweet tooth.
Frank is survived by his three children; Debbie Anthony (Jack) of Middletown, Claudia Dennis (Andy Gillespie) of New Smyrna Beach, FL, and Lisa Guillemette (Jerry) of Tiverton, and his beloved grandchildren, Covell Anthony, A.J. Dennis, Charlotte and Joshua Guillemette. He is also survived by his siblings Jesse Dennis of Concord, NH, Arthur Dennis of Newport, and Anne Marie Whitehead of Portsmouth.
John is preceded in death by wife Sheila Dennis, a sister Sandra Gould, and two brothers Michael and Christopher Dennis who were lost at sea.
Funeral services will be private.
Memorial donations may be made to the American Heart Association or the American Cancer Society.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met
- Blackstone River Theatre Holiday Craft Fair and Festival returns with 24 crafters and live music
- Just My Opinion: What are you thankful for in 2021?
- Newport Jazz Festival releases 2021 Thank You Video
- RITBA: For the first time since the pandemic began, traffic returning to 2019 levels on Pell Bridge
- Singing For Shelter returns December 1 – 22, nightly virtual live concerts will raise money for local shelters