Barbara E. (Moreau) Ward, 92, of Middletown, passed away, Saturday, May 15,
2021 at the Village House Nursing & Rehabilitation Center. She was the wife of
the late Henry B. Ward, whom she married on May 2,1952. Born in Springfield,
MA., she was the daughter of the late George and Ethel (Lind) Moreau.
Barbara moved to Newport when she was in the first grade. She went on to
graduate from Rogers High School. She worked at Monowatt and as a telephone
operator for New England Telephone. Barbara was a housewife and mother
involved with the Cub Scouts, Brownies, Parent-Teacher Association in
Middletown, and Sunday School at the First Presbyterian Church in Newport, RI.
While the children were young, the family traveled throughout the northeastern
U.S. and eastern Canada on their annual summer vacation trips. She enjoyed
summers at Sachuest (Second) Beach and more recently at Third Beach with her
beach buddies. For many years, Barbara was a member of local summer and
winter bowling leagues in Middletown and later in Somerset, MA. She enjoyed
knitting with a group friends who called themselves the Knit Wits. Barbara
participated in water aerobics classes at the Newport Athletic Club, and managed
to keep active, in all sorts of weather, by walking the trails of the Sachuest Point
National Wildlife Refuge.
Barbara is survived by her children Carrie Ward Brothers of Golden, CO, Harry A.
Ward and his wife Valentina of West Roxbury, MA and Paul H. Ward of
Middletown. She was the grandmother of Andrew Ward and his wife Victoria
(Tori) Buonanno of Petersburg, NY, Ethan Ward of Brooklyn, NY and great-grandmother
of Ida Olive Ward and Mae Beatrice Ward of Petersburg, NY.
Barbara was also the aunt of Steven Ratliff.
Barbara was the sister of the late Eleanor Ratliff and sister-in-law of the late John
Ratliff, aunt of the late Christine Ratliff, mother-in-law of the late Jon Matt
Brothers and the late Julia Thomas Ward.
Funeral Services will be private. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to
the Alzheimer’s Association or the Potter League For Animals in her memory.
More from What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up Newp Legislative Survey: Rep. Lauren Carson
- Jay Leno surprises Bit Players audience with a 30-minute set of stand-up comedy
- Gerry Goldstein: Holiday sweets, baked strictly by the numbers
- Buy Local “Six Picks” – Local Art and Gift shops
- Opinion: Bishop’s 4th Street Diner and the North End Urban Plan
- Newport Illuminated Boat Parade canceled due to weather
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Neutral Nation, Deer Tick and the All-Star Stars
- MLK Center to host free community holiday dinner on December 1
- Newport, Tiverton groups sharing $660,000 in grants to strengthen nonprofits led by people of color
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Schemers ring in the holiday season at The Met