Source: O’Neill Hayes Funeral Home
Jean Lawrie Ely, of Middletown, RI died March 10, 2021. She was born August 15, 1929 in Savannah, GA. She was the daughter of Lee Lawrie Jr. and Gertrude Kadue Higbee.
Jean earned her undergraduate degree in business from Wagner College and she worked in New York City where she met her future husband, William Benjamin Ely, Jr. In their thirty-seven years of marriage, the couple had three daughters and one son. As a Navy wife, Jean moved with her family with her family every two years. Wherever she lived, she was always active in her church and became a contributing part of the broader community through her volunteer work. After her children were grown and her husband retired in Connecticut, Jean earned a Master’s degree in Library Science and worked as a research librarian. Jean loved spending time with her family, traveling, reading, quilting and crafting.
In addition to her parents, Jean was predeceased by her husband and her son, Andrew.
Jean leaves her daughter and son-in-law, Pamela and Gary Kilroy of Middletown, RI; her daughter Carolyn Ely of Fitzwilliam, NH; and her daughter and son-in-law Jennifer and Stuart Brandt of Ashburn, VA. She will be sorely missed by her eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
Jean will be buried next to her husband at the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne, MA after a private family service.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now