What’s Up In Newport County Today
Tuesday, January 26
By Ryan M. Belmore
Want to make sure you never miss another story like this from What’s Up Newp? Sign up to receive our free newsletters in your inbox every morning!
???? We spent nearly forty minutes chatting with Lt. Governor Dan McKee yesterday about his goals and plans are as Governor of Rhode Island, small businesses, COVID-19, vaccines, and more. If you missed our chat, you can watch it here.
???? Governor Raimondo’s nomination hearing for Secretary of Commerce begins at 10 am this morning. The process could take days or weeks. Raimondo currently has a State of the State Address scheduled for February 3. Lt. Gov McKee told us that his team is planning on a transition in mid-February but believes that his transition to Governor could come as soon as February 5.
???? Representative Lauren Carson (D. Dist. 75, Newport) has released a survey to her constituents concerning issues facing the Ocean State. Newporters can voice their opinion on important topics such as the expansion of gun safety measures, climate change and sea-level rise, broadband expansion, the impact of the Newport Pell Bridge realignment, and – of course – the COVID-19 pandemic.
???? Reading Across Rhode Island, the Pell Center for International Relations and Public Policy. will kick off their community reading program this evening with a reading “New York Times” bestselling book “Stamped“.
???? Bree Newsome, the artist who drew national attention in 2015 when she climbed the flagpole in front of the South Carolina Capitol building and removed a Confederate battle flag, will be the speaker for the University of Rhode Island’s Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration on Feb. 2.
???? RIDOH has provided their weekly update and 40 states now have travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island.
???? On Monday, the RIDOH reported the following COVID-19 data;
- Tests Prior Day: 7,994
- New Positive Cases: 301
- Percent Positive Prior Day: 3.8%
- People Hospitalized: 347
- New Fatalities: 9
Cumulative Totals Since Begining of Pandemic
- Total Tests: 2,418,019
- Total Positive Cases: 111,754
- Total Fatalities: 2,110
- First Doses Administered: 59,259
- Second Doses Administered: 14,735
- People Fully Vaccinated: 14,735
- Total Doses Administered: 73,994
???? As COVID-19 vaccination sites continue to roll out across the country, the City of Newport has issued a call for volunteers to help Newport get vaccinated.
???? Happy Birthday today to Sarah Heaton, Matthew Valletta, Aaron Regunberg, Sharon Higgins, and Arly Bratman!
Let’s dive into what else is happening, new, and to do out there…
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
Newport recreation hosting Valentine’s Scavenger Hunt, winner to receive a 2021 Easton’s Beach Parking Sticker
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
What’s Up Today in Newport County
- Today – A slight chance of rain showers between 2pm and 3pm, then snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. North wind around 9 mph becoming east in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Tonight – Snow showers. Low around 31. Northeast wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Today – NNE wind around 8 kt becoming E in the afternoon. A slight chance of rain showers before 3pm, then snow showers likely. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NE wind 7 to 9 kt. Snow showers. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 43°F.
???? Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:01 am | Sunset: 4:55 pm
- High tide at 5:53 am & 6:14 pm | Low tide at 12:07 pm & 11:37 pm
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 12 days, 92% lighting
???? Things To Do
- 2 pm to 6 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market – Winter
- 5 pm – LivFit: Cooking & Nutrition Class at The MLK Center
???? JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
???? City & Government
- 9 am – Middletown Board of Canvassers
- 9 am – Coastal Resources Management Council – Policy and Planning Subcommittee
- 6 pm – Middletown Zoning Board of Review
- 7 pm – Jamestown Zoning Board of Review
- 7 pm – Tiverton School Committee
- 7 pm – Tiverton Town Council
- Nothing scheduled.
We’ll See You Out There