What’s Up In Newport County Today
Thursday, January 7
by Ryan M. Belmore
Rev. Dr. Paul A. Hoffman, the Lead Pastor of EFC Newport, tells What’s Up Newp that the prayer will promote the following goals: “An alternate witness that is faith-centered and hopeful, process our grief in constructive ways, lament the chaos and violence taking place and pray for peace and unity in our communities and nation”.
It will be broadcast here on FB live beginning at 2 pm.
- “Middletown schools will do a state-run testing event, and the district is considering administering its own tests as well”.
- “Newport declined to do its own testing, but signed up for a state testing event”.
- “Portsmouth Public Schools has signed up for both school-administered testing and a state testing event, which has not yet been scheduled”.
- See the full list here
The latest headlines from What’s Up Newp
2021 Newport Winter Festival canceled
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
A look at what’s happening In Newport County today
- Today – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 43. Northwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Tonight – Clear, with a low around 27. North wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Today – NNW wind around 9 kt. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NNW wind 7 to 9 kt. Clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 45°F.
- Sunrise: 7:11 am | Sunset: 4:33 pm
- High tide at 1:53 am & 2:15 pm | Low tide at 7:58 am & 7:52 pm
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 23 days, 43% lighting
- 10 am – Veggie Days at the MLK Community Center
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
- 4 pm – Food Shack Fundraiser Nights! with Flat Waves
- 5:30 pm – Norman Bid Sanctuary to host a virtual workshop on ‘Hygge, Friluftsliv, and Winter’
- 5:30 pm – Online Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Intro and Orientation with Innerlight Center for Yoga and Meditation
- 6 pm – Update from the Front Lines: A View of the Pandemic from the ED with Newport Hospital
- 3:30 pm – Portsmouth School Committee – Racial Equity Subcommittee
- 4:30 pm – Newport City Council
- 6 pm – Middletown Planning Board
- 7 pm – Middletown Town Council
- 4:30 pm – City of Newport COVID-19 Status Update
We’ll See You Out There
Photo by kara_ann322 – “sachuest sunrise”
Tag your photos with #WhatsUpNewp for a chance to be featured by us.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager
- City of Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune