What’s Up In Newport County Today
Friday, January 8
by Ryan M. Belmore
???? President-elect Biden has nominated Governor Gina Raimondo for Secretary of Commerce. Lieutenant Governor Dan McKee would take over to serve Raimondo’s remaining two years as governor (her second term expires in January 2023) if she were to leave Rhode Island for D.C.
???? And leave looks like that she will do. Governor Raimondo reportedly will join Biden, Harris and others in the incoming administration’s economic team at a news conference on Friday at 1:30 pm in Wilmington, Delaware.
???? With Raimondo in Delaware this afternoon, her office says that her COVID-19 press briefing that was scheduled for 1 pm today will be moved to next week. Rhode Island Department of Health will provide an update to reporters via Zoom today at 3 pm instead.
???? With Raimondo headed to Washington and a spot in the Biden administration and Lt. Gov. Dan McKee poised to become governor, Aquidneck Island state Senator Lou DiPalma is hoping to fill the lieutenant governor’s position.
In Other News
???? Employees of all police and fire departments in Newport County, as well as employees of Newport Hospital and Naval Health Clinic New England in Newport, and Newport County residents can enjoy free admission to The Breakers and its grounds this weekend, January 9 and 10.
???? Yesterday was the first day of the Edward King House serving as a COVID-19 rapid test site. Free Rapid BinaxNOW Tests will be given on Thursdays and Fridays from 12 pm to 4 pm.
???? Clergy leaders from several local churches gathered Thursday afternoon to host a virtual prayer rally following the chaos at the United States Capitol. WJAR with a story on the prayer rally here.
???? More good food news for Middletown. Newport Restaurant Group is opening Foodlove Market, a specialty market that will offer prepared foods, fresh baked goods, and provisions, on Aquidneck Avenue this summer.
???? Salve Regina University has named MaeLynn Patten their first chief advancement officer.
???? Newport Craft announced a new partnership with The Whiskey Dealer. You can now have Newport Craft spirits delivered to you in 33 states.
???? What’s Up Newp has been recognized by Rhode Island Monthly and The Rhode Island Foundation in their 2021 Common Good Awards.
???? Happy Birthday today to Ed Warner, Emily Baker, Cathy Del Nero, and Jeff Mello!
The latest headlines from What’s Up Newp
Magaziner, Gorbea congratulate Raimondo on her nomination as Commerce Secretary
|For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com. Have a news tip, story idea, suggestion, celebration, or any other nugget for this newsletter? Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.|
A look at what’s happening In Newport County today
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 42. Northwest wind around 8 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 26. North wind 7 to 11 mph.
- Today – NNW wind around 7 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NNW wind 6 to 10 kt becoming N after midnight. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 45°F.
???? Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:11 am | Sunset: 4:34 pm
- High tide at 2:55 am & 3:21 pm | Low tide at 9:26 am & 8:56 pm
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 24 days, 32% lighting
???? Things To Do
- 8:30 am – The National Security Significance of a Changing Climate: Risk and Resilience in the 21st Century with USNWC
- 10:30 am – Tiverton Library Virtual Book Group
- 4 pm to 8 pm – Sparkling Lights at The Breakers
???? JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
???? City & Government
- 7 am – Tiverton Cemetery Commission
- 9 am – Middletown Board of Canvassers
- 10 am – Portsmouth Board of Canvassers
- Nothing scheduled.
We’ll See You Out There
Photo by @amanndaleigh_photography – “never a disappointing sunset at the docks ????”
Tag your photos with #WhatsUpNewp for a chance to be featured by us.