Beginning on Thursday, January 7, 2021, the Edward King House Senior Center will serve as RIDOH/RI National Guard COVID-19 Rapid Test Site. Free Rapid BinaxNOW Tests will be given on Thursdays and Fridays from 12pm to 4pm at the Edward King House located on 35 King Street in Newport for the month of January.
According to the Edward King House, these events are being conducted on a first-come-first-served basis and are open to the public. This is a free walk-in service. Appointments will not be accepted. Anyone wishing to be tested must wear a mask, there will be no exceptions. Participants should be prepared to wait outdoors for a short period of time and should dress appropriately. All COVID safety precautions will be in full effect. There will be a single entrance and a single exit and no participant may wait in the building at any time. Once tested, participants are asked to leave immediately. The test results will be available within 30 minutes and the participant will be called with the results. ID’s will not be required but participants must provide contact information so that the results can be provided. Social distancing will be adhered to at all times.
“During this time when in-person service cannot be conducted at the King House, it was important to us that we serve the community in the most beneficial way possible”, shared Carmela Geer, Executive Director of the Edward King House in a statement provided in a press release, “What better way to provide an important service than to make ourselves available to provide a safe environment for testing. Traveling to the mainland is not easy for everyone. The service is free and it’s close by or at least closer than other sites for Aquidneck Island residents.”
Community volunteers will be needed to help provide staff support for these events. Volunteers must be over the age of 18 and are asked to send an email to email@example.com if interested.
For more information go to www.edwardkinghouse.org or call 401-846-7424 ext 1.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library