|What’s Up In Newport County Today|
Friday, January 22
Want to make sure you never miss another story like this from What’s Up Newp? Sign up to receive our free newsletters in your inbox every morning!
???? A fire on Prudence Island last night engulfed at least three houses. Portsmouth and crews from Newport, Middletown, and beyond battled flames overnight and the island is currently without power. No injuries reported.WPRI has more here – Massive fire erupts on Prudence Island
???? A new COVID-19 rapid testing site is opening in downtown Newport.
???? 8 organizations from Newport County received grants from the State Arts Council.
???? The Aquidneck Land Trust (“ALT”) yesterday announced the conservation of 13.62 acres of land in Newport, split between two properties located on the island’s south end.
???? WUN’s Frank Prosnitz asks Will Rhode Island change the way it chooses its lieutenant governor?
???? The Public’s Radio‘s Newport Reporter Antonia Ayres-Brown spoke with Rex LeBeau, a strategy specialist with the Newport Health Equity Zone who focuses on LGBTQ+ health care. Read that story here – Newport public health advocate says new administration will be ‘hugely significant’ to LGBTQ+ health care
???? On Thursday, the RIDOH reported the following COVID-19 data;
- Tests Prior Day: 20.079
- New Positive Cases: 698
- Percent Positive Prior Day: 3.5%
- People Hospitalized: 379
- New Fatalities: 18
Cumulative Totals Since Begining of Pandemic
- Total Tests: 2,340,681
- Total Positive Cases: 108,786
- Total Fatalities: 2,076
- First Doses Administered: 50,637
- Second Doses Administered: 12,515
- People Fully Vaccinated: 12,515
- Total Doses Administered: 63,152
???? Happy Birthday today to Bronya Shillo, Lily Jeovanna, and Jill Rogers Bills.
Let’s dive into what else is happening, new, and to do out there…
The Latest From What’s Up Newp
Large fire on Prudence Island overnight
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
What’s Up Today in Newport County
- Today – Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. West wind 8 to 11 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 24. Northwest wind 10 to 16 mph.
- Gale Watch in effect from January 23, 01:00 PM EST until January 24, 11:00 PM EST
- Today – WNW wind 7 to 10 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – WNW wind 9 to 14 kt, with gusts as high as 22 kt. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 43°F.
???? Sun & Moon
- Sunrise: 7:05 am | Sunset: 4:50 pm
- High tide at 2:24 am & 2:44 pm | Low tide at 8:57 am & 8:14 pm
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 8 days, 61% lighting
???? Things To Do
- 8 pm – Newport Performing Arts Center will feature Cheryl Wheeler in a virtual concert
- 8 pm – Roomful of Blues to Stream Virtual Show at Narrows Center Friday, January 22
???? JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
???? City & Government
- 10 am – Portsmouth Board of Canvassers
- Nothing scheduled yet, check back for updates.
|We’ll See You Out There|