Newport area residents will soon have another option to secure a rapid COVID-19 test, according to the City of Newport.
The City of Newport shared in a press release this afternoon that they have been informed that beginning Tuesday, January 26, the Rhode Island Department of Health and Rhode Island National Guard, will be opening a Binax Now Rapid test site at 21 Brown and Howard Wharf in downtown Newport.
The site, which was donated by Paolino Properties, will offer free asymptomatic Walk-In service from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. No appointment is necessary, however those utilizing the testing site are asked to maintain social distancing and follow the direction of the service members who may have to form them into lines.
The new location is part of the RIDOH’s effort to expand COVID-19 testing in East Bay communities. City Staff is also coordinating with State health officials to open additional sites in the City’s North End neighborhood, according to the press release.
Patrons will be provided a ticket number and are asked to wait in their vehicles for 15-20 minutes after providing a quick nasal swab for the test. Results are provided on-site, and they will be called back in by their ticket number for results; they will be provided a hardcopy sheet of their results, as well a digital entry into the RIDOH portal. Those who test positive will also be provided guidance on quarantining and public safety.
The Latest From WUN
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Sarah Potenza, Elvis Costello and more
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton
- “Six Picks” Pumpkin Ale – It’s the time of the season
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network