Governor Raimondo will host a press briefing at 1 pm on Friday, January 8 to provide an update on COVID-19 in Rhode Island.
This press briefing was previously scheduled for Thursday, January 7 at 1 pm. It was rescheduled because Governor Raimondo is quarantining for the second time in less than a month following close contact with a person who has COVID-19.
UPDATE: January 8 at 4 am
President-elect Biden has nominated Governor Gina Raimondo for Secretary of Commerce. Lieutenant Governor Dan McKee would take over to serve Raimondo’s remaining two years as governor (her second term expires in January 2023) if she were to leave Rhode Island for D.C.
And leave looks like that she will do. Governor Raimondo reportedly will join Biden, Harris and others in the incoming administration’s economic team at a news conference on Friday at 1:30 pm in Wilmington, Delaware
With Raimondo in Delaware this afternoon, her office says that her COVID-19 press briefing that was scheduled for 1 pm today will be moved to next week. Rhode Island Department of Health will provide an update to reporters via Zoom today at 3 pm instead.
Raimondo’s last press briefing took place on Tuesday, December 18.
Watch the press briefing live below or anytime afterward.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals