No, you weren’t imagining things – a 4.0 magnitude earthquake did indeed hit the region this morning with shock waves felt as far north as Boston and west to around Hartford, CT. The quake was centered offshore 9 miles Southwest of Bliss Corner, MA, near New Bedford, according to the US Geological Survey.
Witnesses throughout the area reported the quake beginning at 9:10AM and lasting approximately 10-15 seconds.
Although earthquakes are common in New England, most are not felt this broadly. Although considered “light” on the Richter scale, the 4.0 quake was one of the strongest to hit the region in recent memory.
For complete details, click on the US Geographic Survey site here.
We’ll update this story as further details become available. Please forward any damage reports to WhatsUpNewp.
The Latest From WUN
- Cathleen Carr named new executive director of newportFILM
- Ocean State Job Lot hosting hiring events at all store locations
- Potter League to host 32nd Annual Heart & Sole Walk for Animals at Fort Adams
- The Beach Boys To play Mohegan Sun Arena on New Year’s Eve
- FirstWorks to present “Women Trailblazers in Music” in November