The Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority (RITBA) provided the followin travel advisory for the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge on fRiday afternoon.
At approximately 1:45 p.m., the driver of a tractor-trailer heading westbound (toward North Kingstown) on the Jamestown Bridge lost control of their vehicle and hit temporary water barriers. As a result of the accident location and to allow access for a tow truck to remove the tractor-trailer, RITBA was required to stop all traffic heading westbound, starting at the Newport Pell Bridge toll plaza.
Police and fire personnel, as well as the RITBA maintenance crew are currently on scene to assist. A tow truck is also on scene to remove the tractor-trailer. There are no injuries to report, and at this time, the cause of the accident is unknown.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits