Governor Raimondo and the Department of Health will host their daily COVID-19 press briefing today at 1 pm.
What’s Up Newp will have it for you live below on our Facebook Page and website then.
Updates from the press conference as they happen;
Gov: There will be no daily press briefing on Easter. She will pre-record a message for Sunday.
Gov: Announced 6 more COVID-19 associated deaths, brings total to 49. Announces 288 additional positive cases of COVID-19 in Rhode Island, brings total to 2,015. There are 169 now hospitalized.
Director of Health: 288 new cases is reflective of uptick in testing. One of fatalities was in 60’s, 4 in 90’s, 1 in 100’s. Five of the six new deaths were associated with nursing homes.
Gov: New federal benefit now allow 10 days of paid sick leave, regardless of whether you had this time before. In regards to unemployment, says that in order to qualify, you have to have been laid off or hours severely reduced; that includes state-mandated closure.
Gov: Signed executive order that ensures businesses that have been forced to closed will not be penalized for workers accessing unemployment insurance.
Gov: Says increased domestic violence calls is not a surprise with so many more people home and out of work, asking for patience and kindness. Telling victims they are not alone and to reach out for help.
Gov: Starting today, RIPTA limiting buseses to max 15 person capacity. Riders must wear cloth mask when on board. RIPTA to assist with Meals On Wheels.
This story is developing and will be updated throughout the day.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- This day in Newport History: September 19, 1902 – Jimmy Van Alen born in Newport
- Concert Recap and Photos: Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the Greenwich Odeum (September 18, 2021)
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert