Governor Raimondo signed an Executive Order yesterday afternoon extending the time period from seven days to thirty days for police departments to conduct background checks for concealed weapons and firearms.
The move comes following a letter (seen below) from the Rhode Island Police Chiefs’ Association which expressed concern that the current strain on their resources may impede their ability to process the applications that come in.
The Governor will address this Executive Order at today’s press conference, which is scheduled for 1 pm. What’s Up Newp will bring you the press conference live on our Facebook Page and website.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 10 – 17)
- Common Fence Music to present Dedicated Men of Zion in streaming concert
- Whalers Brewing Company to give a free keg of beer to every bar and restaurant in Rhode Island
- This Day in RI History: May 18, 1652 – Rhode Island becomes the first colony to pass an anti-slavery law
- Now Hiring: 125+ job opportunities available right now