Governor Raimondo signed an Executive Order yesterday afternoon extending the time period from seven days to thirty days for police departments to conduct background checks for concealed weapons and firearms.
The move comes following a letter (seen below) from the Rhode Island Police Chiefs’ Association which expressed concern that the current strain on their resources may impede their ability to process the applications that come in.
The Governor will address this Executive Order at today’s press conference, which is scheduled for 1 pm. What’s Up Newp will bring you the press conference live on our Facebook Page and website.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport woman is first-ever female to win Citizens Pell Bridge Run
- What’s Up This Week: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Full Moon Bike ride, The Exorcist, & more
- Newport Garden Club to host a talk by ‘The Seedhuntress’
- Changing seasons, changing exhibits at Little Compton Historical Society
- ‘Rock The Mansion’ raises more than $150,000 for Newport Mental Health