A ramen pop-up is opening on lower Thames Street this month and is promising to bring the freshest handmade noodles in the state to Newport.\
Chef Basil Yu has announced plans to open Yagi Noodles at 580 Thames Street, formerly Reclaimed Cafe and Lorusso’s Cafe.
“I’m doing a little pop up at the old Lorusso’s cafe. It’s gonna be a ramen bar, though byob;” owner and Chef Basil Yu told What’s Up Newp on Monday.
Yagi Noodles will be the second restaurant where you can grab ramen regulary in Newport this winter, Boru Noodle Bar has been serving ramen on Broadway since 2013.
Chef Basil is no stranger to Newport, he was previously the Chef de Cuisine at the Vanderbilt Hotel and a guest chef at The Revolving Door for two months.
“I recently came back from Southeast Asia and Japan learning about ramen so I wanted to give that back to the community. I’ll be making fresh whole wheat ramen noodles and I want to say I am the only ramen shop in Rhode Island making fresh noodles,” Yu said.
Dedicated to perfecting his bowl of Ramen, Basil ventured to Japan and Southeast Asia to train under Chef Jason Lim and Master Chef Kaoru Fujii. Chef Fujii was also the teacher of the acclaimed Ramen Chef Ivan Orkin.
“Playing on all the unique tastes and flavors of Asian cuisine. We decided to pull influences from Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Southeast Asian cultures to bring to you foods and drinks that excite your taste buds, similar to that of a kid in a candy store. Or a grown up in a dumpling shop. Whichever way you view it – it’s gonna be fire,” the website for Yagi Noodles states.
As for the name of the pop-up, Yagi is the Japanese word for “Goat” and is an homage to The Legend of Five Goats originating from Basil’s father’s hometown of Guangzhou, China.
The plan is for the restaurant to be open from December through March 2020. The restaurant will offer a dry bar menu, will be byob, and plans to be open from 4 pm to 9 pm.
“We open in a couple weeks, no sure on exact date, and we have the space until the end of March,” Yu concluded.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)