Peter Pan Bus Lines announced this week that they will have limited service to and from Newport as of September 9th.
“In an initiative to decrease traffic on Newport roadways for important bridge repairs, we are partnering with RIPTA (Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority) to continue to offer service out of Newport, RI connecting via Fall River, MA or Portsmouth, RI,” a travel advisory from Peter Pan Bus Lines states.
As part of their Fall Service Changes, RIPTA announced on August 27th that they would be adding a new express service, Route 24X, that will connect RIPTA to the Southeastern Regional Transit Authority (SRTA) at the Pettine Transportation Center in Fall River and the service now creates a tri-city link between Providence, Fall River and Newport.
According to Peter Pan Bus Lines the following schedules will be unable to service Newport, RI during this (undefined) period.
- Schedule BZ 0306: Originally a 6:00am departure from Newport, RI. Bus will still depart Fall River, MA at 6:40am.
- Schedule BZ 0310: Originally an 8:00am departure from Newport, RI. Bus will still depart Fall River, MA at 8:40am.
- Schedule BZ 0319: Will now end in Fall River, MA at 5:45pm, no longer continuing to Newport, RI.
Peter Pan Bus Lines first started making cuts to incoming and outgoing buses from Newport in September 2018 when they reduced their runs between Newport and Boston from five to three runs on weekdays and to just two runs on weekends.
“We will also be limiting service to & from Portsmouth, RI starting September 30th, 2019. After that point in time, the select schedules displayed below (above) will be unable to service either location and will depart/arrive solely at Fall River, MA,” the advisory states.
Outgoing: A quick look at scheduling for next week looks like there will be one bus run from Newport to Providence on weekdays (4 pm departure and two on Saturday and Sunday’s (10 am and 4 pm departure). There is one bus from Newport to Boston weekdays (4 pm departure) and two on Saturday and Sunday’s (10 am and 4 pm departure) .
Incoming: A quick look at scheduling for next week looks there will be two buses running from Boston to Newport every day of the week (12:45 pm and 6:30 pm). Buses will run from Providence to Newport two times per day (11:30 am and 5:45 pm) seven days a week.
Peter Pan encourages those needs service to check schedules from RIPTA for connecting service to Fall River, MA. You can view Inbound and Outbound schedules departing Newport, RI HERE.
A request for comment from Peter Pan Bus Lines has not been responded to.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport