The legendary Rakim will be making his debut appearance in Newport on Wednesday, September 18th.
This Long Island, NY native has been revered by hip-hop fans worldwide since the 1980s. His musical legacy has consistently grown over the years and he recently released a book entitled, Sweat the Technique: Revelations on Creativity from the Lyrical Genius. He typically performs in much larger venues so it will certainly be a unique experience to see him in an intimate setting like the Newport Blues Cafe.
Rakim will be joined by a strong team of openers. Newport’s own Freddie Black and Demmene Syronn,from Providence, RI via New Bedford, MA. Rounding out the bill is New Fame, a full-time touring lady hip-hop/soul duo originally from New York. DJ Franchise will kick off the night.
Music begins for this 21+ event at 9 pm. Tickets are now available. $30 general admission tickets and $100 meet & greet passes are available at newportblues.com while they last. $38 at the door.
More From What’s Up Newp
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author
- International Tennis Hall Of Fame acquires tennis-inspired art collection from Hall of Famer Gianni Clerici
- Mask mandate to be lifted for those fully vaccinated on May 18; most remaining COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted on May 21
- John E. Fogarty Foundation provides more than $175,000 in grants to 31 organizations across Rhode Island
- Obituary: Berit M. Hattendorf