By Stephen Hough – Team Publicist
The Gulls saw their season come to an end Tuesday night as they fell to the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks in game three of the Southern Division Championship. With the 3-2 victory, the Sharks will represent the South in the NECBL Championship.
It was a scoreless game heading into the bottom of the fourth until Nander De Sedas ripped an RBI double to drive home Nick Raposo who worked a leadoff walk. The Sharks double was the first hit of the day off of the Gulls starter Jimmy Kingsbury. The Vineyard would tack on two more runs in the fifth after Raposo and Jackson Raper had back-to-back hits to give the Sharks a 3-0 lead.
Newport answered back in the sixth after Chris Hamilton worked a leadoff walk and came around to score off a Ryan Toohers RBI double.Toohers would eventually come around to score to make it a one-run game off an RBI single from Brett Vosik.
The Gulls would have one more opportunity to put more runs on the board when they loaded the bases with two outs in the eighth. The Gulls called on Colton Bender to pinch hit who struck out to end the inning.
The Gulls outhit the Sharks on the day eight to five, but Newport couldn’t find hits when it mattered most, stranding ten runners on the day including seven in scoring position.
Kingsbury was tagged with the loss for Newport despite pitching 4.2 innings, giving up just three runs off of three hits while striking out seven. Mike Sansone threw 3.1 innings for the Gulls out of the bullpen, giving up just two hits while striking out five.
The loss ends the season for Newport who finished with the second-best record in the NECBL and finished the season in second place in the Southern Division.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates