Summer in Newport and live music, they go together like clam cakes and chowder.
There’s no short supply of free live music and movies on any given night in Newport. Here’s a look at all that can be enjoyed outdoors this summer for free or for a small donation.
Schedules subject to change. This story was originally published on May 22nd. It has been updated.
1. Family Night Concert Series at Easton’s Beach: Tuesdays in July and August
All shows begin at 6:00 pm and last for approximately 90 minutes. In the event of rain, shows will be rescheduled – call 401-845-5810 after 4 pm. Free.
- July 9 – Rockin’ Soul Horns Sponsored by Easton’s Beach Snack Bar and Del’s Lemonade
- July 16 – Chicago Total Access Sponsored by Easton’s Beach Snack Bar and Del’s Lemonade
- July 23 – The Night Life Orchestra
- July 30 – Down City Band Sponsored in memory of Ralph Gizzi by his loving family
- August 6 – Sh-Bop Sponsored by Easton’s Beach Snack Bar and Del’s Lemonade
- August 13 – Bar Fly
2. Children’s Night Performances at Easton’s Beach: Thursdays in July and August
All shows begin at 6 pm and last approximately 45 minutes. In the event of rain, shows are held in the Rotunda Ballroom
- July 18 – Featuring Johnny The K
- July 25 – Featuring the Toe Jam Puppet Band
- August 1 – Featuring T-Bone
- August 8 – Magician Tommy James
3. NIMFEST at King Park: Sundays in July & August
All concerts are scheduled on Sundays from 3 pm – 6 pm, there are no rain dates. Bring a chair or enjoy the lawn seating at the park, shows are free and open to the public of all ages! Free.
- July 7 – Swinglane Orchestra
- July 14 – Down City Band
- July 21 – Eddy’s Shoe, Jabbawaukee
- July 28 – October Road: A Tribute to James Taylor
- August 4 – Skinny Millionaires, Barfly
- August 11 – Island Rockers, Digg-It
- August 18 – Felix Brown Band
- August 25 – CeeCee & the Riders, Kane Brothers
4. Waterfront Music Series at King Park
Concerts are presented free by Friends of the Waterfront and the City of Newport, made possible by the Isham Family Fund.
Friday, June 21 – Summer Solstice 5:00-7:00pm
Slackwater String Band
Saturday, June 29 – Family Picnic 3:00-6:00pm
Melissa Chaplin Band
Folsom, Johnny Cash Tribute
Mary Ellen Hawkins
Friday, July 19 – Blues Friday 5:30-7:00pm
James Montgomery Blues Band
Monday, July 29, Bridgefest Folk/Pop 5:00-6:30pm
David Furlong & The Honk
Wednesday, July 31, Bridgefest Blues 5:00-6:30
Saturday, August 17, Cajun & Swing Dance 3:00-6pm
Magnolia Cajun Band
La Mechante et le Connard
Saturday, August 31, Irish Music & Dance 3:00-6pm
The Exiles with Kevin Doyle
Rhode To Dublin
Barry & Pat Callahan
5. Live Music Series at Newport Vineyards: May – September
Head to Newport Vineyards for live music throughout the summer! Sip and savor the day or night while enjoying wine tastings, wine by the glass, beer and sangria, as well as light bites from their kitchens. No cost for entry to the live music or reservation needed, just go and enjoy!
- Wednesday, May 15 (5-8pm): Dan Blakeslee
- Saturday, May 18 (1-4pm): Yacht Club Rejects
- Sunday, May 19 (1-4pm): Josh Grabert
- Wednesday, May 22 (5-8pm): Dave Flamand
- Saturday, May 25 (1-4pm): Dudemanbro
- Sunday, May 26 (1-4pm): Alex2e
- Wednesday, May 29 (5-8pm): Chris Vaillancourt
- Saturday, June 1 (1-4pm): Orange Whip
- Sunday, June 2 (1-4pm): Steve Cerilli
- Wednesday, June 5 (5-8pm): Bill & Gabi
- Saturday, June 8 (1-4pm): Chelley Knight Band
- Sunday, June 9 (1-4pm): The Playboys
- Wednesday, June 12 (5-8pm): Dan Blakeslee
- Saturday, June 15 (1-4pm): Dave Alves
- Sunday, June 16 (1-4pm): Dylan Harley
- Wednesday, June 19 (5-8pm): Chris Vaillancourt
- Saturday, June 22 (1-4pm): Dan Cristo
- Sunday, June 23 (1-4pm): Dudemanbro
- Wednesday, June 26 (5-8pm): Julio Amaro
- Saturday, June 29 (1-4pm): Leslie Grimes and Matt Bruneau
- Sunday, June 30 (1-4pm): The Teledynes
Please check back for more dates to be announced!
6. newportFILM Outdoor Movie Series: Thursdays in June, July and August
Experience award-winning documentaries, live music, interviews with filmmakers and film subjects, great food, and loads of community spirit amongst Aquidneck Island’s beautiful outdoor spaces, every Thursday night, all summer long…for free!
7. Summer Concert Series at Shops at Long Wharf: May thru October
Enjoy free concerts throughout the summer from 1 pm to 5 pm down at the Shops at Long Wharf.
- May 25 – The 40
- June 1 – The Playboys
- June 8 – Corey Allen Staats
- June 15 – John and Joanne
- June 22 – Half Step Down
- June 29 – In Tandem
- July 5 – The 40
- July 6 – Chelley, Bill, and Dyl
- July 13 – Cee Cee and The Riders
- July 20 – Becky Chase Band
- July 27 – Laniakea
- August 3 – Corey Allen Staat’s
- August 10 – Black Lights
- August 17 – Amy Kucharik
- August 24 – John and Joanne
- August 31 – The Playboys
- September 7 – Half Step Down
- September 14 – Colby Sage
- September 21 – Cee Cee and The Riders
- September 28 – Becky Chase Band
- October 5 – The Blenders
- October 12 – Chelley, Bill, and Dyl
8. Music at The Fort: June – September
The Fort Adams Trust will host a free summer concert series at Fort Adams State Park this summer The concerts will be open to the public to attend from 5 pm to 8 pm each night.
- June 20th – The Kane Brothers (Postponed to June 27th)
- July 18th – Ben O’Connor (rescheduled to August 29th)
- August 15th – The Ravers
- September 19th – To be announced
9. Jamestown Summer Music Series: Every Sunday in July & August
The town of Jamestown’s 2018 Summer Concert Series at East Ferry Memorial Square will feature the following;
10. Summer Concert Series at Sweetberry Farm: Typically Tuesdays in July and August
Join us on Tuesday evenings in July and August for free live music and family-friendly fun. Specialty dinners prepared by Chef Scott Amaral are available along with many other food items from our café. Limited number of dinner tickets available for purchase. For ticket reservations, call (401) 847-3912.
Picnic tables available to dinner ticket holders, first come first serve. All are welcome to purchase food and refreshments from the Farm Café.
- 9th | 6-8pm The New 40 – Rhythm & Blues; Soul Groove Music
- 16th | 6-8pm Lois Vaughan Jazz
- 23rd | 6-8pm Cee Cee & The Riders – High Energy Blues & Old Time Rock & Roll
- 30th | 6-8pm 6 Diggit – Music from the Last Five Decades
- 6th | 6-8pm Jessie Liam Band – Top Hits from the 50’s to Current
- 13th | 6-8pm The Honeymooners – A Little Bit of Trailer Park, A Little Bit of Central Park
Admission to all concerts is free. Specialty dinners prepared by Chef Scott Amaral are available along with many other food items from our café.
Picnic tables are reserved for dinner ticket holders only and on a first come basis. Dinner tickets can be reserved by calling ahead: (401) 847-3912. You are welcome to bring beach chairs or blankets.
Concert goers must park in designated parking lot only. We request guests do not park in front of the Farm Market.
Please enter from the 19 Third Beach Road entrance.
11. Busking at Bowen’s Wharf during Newport BridgeFest: July 29th – August 1st
From 6-9pm nightly, during Newport Bridgefest you can get your groove on down at the waterfront on Bowen’s Wharf. FREE, fun, family-friendly.
- Schedule to be announced
12. Newport Music Festival: Select dates in July
Newport Music Festival will present a few family-friendly and free concerts this season.
- July 4 at 7:30 pm at King Park- The Alliance Brass opens Newport Music Festival’s 2019 Summer Season with a rousing free Fourth of July Extravaganza to celebrate America’s birthday. It begins with the National Anthem and includes an array of familiar tunes honoring members of the U.S. Military, and presents selections from composers whose experiences in this country are reflected in their music. From Teichler’s Triumphal Fanfare to Copland’s Rodeo, Gershwin’s Summertime to Freddie Mercury’s Bohemian Rhapsody, this concert will delight listeners young and old. The night closes with Smith’s National Anthem once more as a final salute to our great country.
- July 9th at 6 pm at Newport Art Museum – Bring your family (and a blanket) to enjoy a free evening of music on the Newport Art Museum lawn. Always a favorite!
- July 16th at 6 pm at Newport Art Museum – Bring your family (and a blanket) to enjoy a free evening of music on the Newport Art Museum lawn. Always a favorite! In case of inclement weather, visit www.newportmusic.org
13. Music On The Lawn
The Friends of Music at St. John’s is thrilled to announce the return of our annual summer music series, Music on the Lawn, featuring great bands, awesome food trucks, beverage service, a 50/50 raffle and more!
The fun starts Thursday, July 18, and is made possible by 2019 season sponsor The Point Association and event sponsors Caleb & Broad, Pasta Beach, Point Wine & Spirits, Sardella’s Restaurant, The Marina Pub, Gurney’s and Newport Shipyard. Food trucks include Castaway Gourmet and Rhody Roots!
Our event lineup this summer includes:
- Thursday, July 18: The Strattones (South County band)
- Thursday, Aug. 1: Doug Woolverton and The Groove Merchants
- Thursday, Aug. 8: The Aztec Two-Step featuring Rex Fowler & Friends
- Thursday, Aug. 15: Mike Warner & the Ubiquitones (regulars at Newport’s The Fastnet Pub)
- Thursday, Aug. 29: Max O’Hara (from Liverpool, England)
- Thursday, Sept. 5: Navy Band Northeast Brass Quintet
Music on the Lawn concerts are free (but donations welcome!) and open to all, family-friendly, and move indoors in case of rain. Concerts are from 6-8:30 p.m. Lawn chairs encouraged and picnics invited, although support of our food trucks and beverage sales are encouraged to support Friends of Music and neighborhood music events at St. John’s … from Bach to Rock!
The Zabriskie Memorial Church of Saint John the Evangelist is located at 61 Washington St., at the corner of Washington and Willow streets, with free parking in our lot opposite 25 Willow St.
14. Second Beach Concert Series
Middletown’s Summer Concert Series will be back at Sachuest Beach (AKA Second Beach) every Monday night in August, the Town of Middletown confirmed today. In addition to live music, these family-fun events include fire pits on the beach and an assortment of food trucks. The final night, August 26, will end with fireworks.
Here is this year’s lineup of artists:
August 5– Greystone Rail
August 12 – The Travis Colby Band
August 19 – John Monllos
August 26 – The Ravers …& fireworks!! (Rain date August 27)
These free events run from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM and are open to the public
15. Tiverton Library Summer Concert Series
Tiverton Public Library has announced their 2019 Summer Concert Series lineup.
All concerts are scheduled on Thursdays from 6:00-7:30 pm on the Library Lawn. In the event of rain, shows are held in the Community Room.
Tiverton library encourages the public to bring a chair, blanket, and dinner and enjoy a night of live entertainment. All shows are free and open to the public.- Advertisement –
· July 18 – Butch McCarthy and The Gents
· August 1 – Robert Black
· August 8 – Michaela & the Little Necks
· Additional dates to be announced.
This free concert series is made possible by Tiverton residents Dick and Debbie Danner.
Tiverton Public Library is located at 34 Roosevelt Avenue in Tiverton and online at www.tivertonlibrary.org.
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances