The Aquidneck Island Planning Commission will host the next installment of its Smart Island Series with the Aquidneck Island Legislative Forum on Thursday, April 11, 2019 from 8:00-10:00 AM at the Community College of Rhode Island Newport Campus.
Ten state senators and house representatives, who represent Aquidneck Island, will engage in a moderated discussion followed by an audience question and answer session. Residents are encouraged to come prepared with questions for their elected officials. The event will be moderated by Neil Steinberg, President & CEO of the Rhode Island Foundation.
AIPC recently hosted 150 residents, business owners, elected officials, and employers for a forum about housing. The event included interactive break-out sessions, where everyone voiced their ideas for solving the island’s housing challenges. AIPC Board President, Sara Churgin, said, “civic engagement is an essential goal of the AIPC as we seek to keep Islanders informed and involved in policy decisions that affect all of us. It is our responsibility to hold our state legislators accountable, and the Smart Island series gives residents a direct line of communication.”
2019 is shaping up to be an active legislative session, while Rhode Island is enacting legislation around issues such as online gambling, gun control, suicide prevention, healthcare, and the environment. The forum will provide an opportunity to discuss how new initiatives may affect all of us living on Aquidneck Island.
Legislators scheduled to be in attendance include Senators Louis DiPalma, Dawn Euer, James Seveney; House Representatives Marvin Abney, Dennis M. Canario, Lauren Carson, Terri-Denise Cortvriend, Susan Donovan, John Edwards, and Deborah Ruggiero.The event is free and open to the public.
Please register online at www.AIPCSmartIsland.eventbrite.com. Coffee and networking start at 8:00 AM with the program beginning promptly at 8:30 AM. Media is encouraged to attend.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager
- City of Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune