The Fort Adams Trust announces that noted historian John Weaver II will be providing a free lecture in the Casemates at Historic Fort Adams on the Third System of Coastal Fortifications of which Fort Adams is a significant member. The lecture will commence at 6:30 PM on Thursday, October 4, 2018, and the public is invited. Following the lecture will be a meet and greet with Weaver along with a signing of his recently released second edition of his “A Legacy in Brick and Stone” considered the definitive work of this period when Fort Adams was built starting in 1826 upon completion in 1853.
John Weaver consults with the National Park Service and several state organizations, training staff and volunteers on fortification technology, and gives presentations around the country. He is currently working with Ravelin Films in the production of documentaries about forts of this period of which Fort Adams will be a part of with the release expected for the summer of 2019.
Although the lecture is free of charge, the Trust would appreciate an RSVP for attendees by October 2nd to Rob McCormack at 401-619-5802 or at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library